Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: FSU in Rolling Stone Magazine!
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 11:07 AM
FSU in Rolling Stone Magazine!

an 8 page article in the new issue

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 11:22 AM

Fruity Suburban Uberposers.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 11:56 AM

Flamingly Stinging Urethras
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum
Fruity Suburban Uberposers.

I love comments like this. I'm no FSU advocate but I do have some good friends that are in that crew and Fruity Suburban Uberposers can't be further from actual reality.

Anyway, the article is pretty well written. The writer did a pretty good job with presenting all sides of the story. Not to mention most major magazine articles that have anything to do with the hardcore scene are really hacky and get a lot of details wrong.

Also, a friend just sent me this link. It's a video the author put together about his article.
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/15903240/punk_rock_fi...

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 01:38 PM

I will read.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
upyerbum
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 02:39 PM

I'll read the article, but I gotta' tell ya' Juice, I ain't got a lot of time for FSU.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
BKT
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 02:41 PM

LOL. FSU? Why waste the space. An article on Britney Spears would be less of a waste of space.

MM.
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
I'll read the article, but I gotta' tell ya' Juice, I ain't got a lot of time for FSU.

I understand if you have some kind of problem with FSU, I get it. Like I said before I'm not an FSU advocate, I just get kind of irritated with comments like the one you made. Especially since you probably don't know anyone in FSU. No heat or anything, just saying.

Not necessarily referring to anyone in particular but the thing I really don't get is all the shit talking from people who lick the balls of AF, Cro-Mags, Skarhead, Fury of 5, Madball etc. All those people at some point were just as big of thugs as FSU is. Some still are.

upyerbum
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 03:59 PM

You are right about one thing, I don't know anyone in FSU. And you've got the right to be irritated as have I the right to irritate. ;)

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JUICE MAYNE MSHC
Quote:

I understand if you have some kind of problem with FSU, I get it. Like I said before I'm not an FSU advocate, I just get kind of irritated with comments like the one you made. Especially since you probably don't know anyone in FSU. No heat or anything, just saying.

Not necessarily referring to anyone in particular but the thing I really don't get is all the shit talking from people who lick the balls of AF, Cro-Mags, Skarhead, Fury of 5, Madball etc. All those people at some point were just as big of thugs as FSU is. Some still are.

It's funny too, some of the cats that are into AF et all are usually a-okay with DMS. You're thug point stands, but then there is, of course, the fact that DMS and FSU are down for each other. Look at that Live at CBGB dvd AF put out... FSU is all over that just as much as DMS.

Some of the Philly FSU guys I've hung out with are stand up dudes. Especially Joe HxC.

CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 04:24 PM

Juice pasted that link to the slide show. Pretty interesting stuff. Then I noticed this under a picture:

"Inside the bloody brotherhood of FSU, where violence rules and wearing the wrong t-shirt just might get you killed."

It makes me ashamed to think i belong or belonged to a scene that this could be true. No heat and I don't know FSU from a whole in the ground. Fighting over t-shirts is incredibly weak but humans have been fighting over weak shit since the beginning. I still want to see the Beatdown DVD too.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 04:28 PM

^I never even heard that T-shirt bit until I saw that caption.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 04:42 PM

My problem with people like the FSU guys was spelled out in the Boston Beatdown videos and the messageboard they had for it. I went on there and was amazed at the shit they said on there. All they talked about was standing up for your friends no matter what, and never letting a friend fight alone. They love to pile on in a fight so it's 20 on 1. The question I asked was thi9s; if your friend picks a fight with somebody, why not let him fight his own battle one-on-one? They said "real friends don't do that." That to me, is stupid thug-mentality bullshit, spewed out by guys who like to fight. They love to fight, as long as it's not one-on-one.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 05:16 PM

I'm a one-on-one kind of guy myself. If my friend got beatdown, that's another story. Not if your bro is picking a fight though, a real friend would let his brother know when he's crossing the line. There's no sense in fighting for fightings sake... save that shit for boxing or MMA rings.

crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 05:22 PM

I'm not completely familiar with fsu, or any gang mentality type stuff but to me it's hilarious that people engage in this type of activity surrounding music. It's just music. I know they look at it differently but c'mon, people can do what they want, listen to what they want, wear whatever tshirt they want, without fearing for their life. It's embarrassing.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 06:32 PM

Quote:

I thought about this on the way to work and think I know why FSU get the heat and DMS/Courage Crew etc don't.

- The Internet. When DMS was in its prime, the net was barely a place where hardcore kids went to gossip about shit. It didn't even exist as a media/outlet in the 80's when this stuff was around and real violent. Today's Internet and gossip forums give FSU all the attention and the old crews none.

- Age. The average age of hardcore these days is a teenager, the Thorp board is not the norm of 25+ year old dudes. Most of the people weren't around when DMS or even Courage Crew were around.

- Media attention. DMS didn't have much media attention and certainly didn't put out a pair of DVD's showing their activities in the scene. FSU seems to beg for the attention by putting out these clips and getting into shit like Rolling Stone & local papers.

I've heard a lot of stories of stabbings and shit back when DMS was the main game and how violent shit was. But nobody has ever really told me that they did things like FSU, mass beatings just because of a shirt or mosh, fighting for the sole purpose of fighting. DMS are fucking hardcore dudes that don't seem to waste time on petty fights just because you wear a Lynyrd Skynyrd shirt.

I'm like others here, 1-1 is how you stand up for yourself. Your brothers ain't gonna be there for you for the rest of your life 24/7, you need to learn to stand on your own 2 feet and with a crew backing you up every time you get into shit, you're never going to learn shit.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Six66Mike

I thought about this on the way to work and think I know why FSU get the heat and DMS/Courage Crew etc don't.

- The Internet. When DMS was in its prime, the net was barely a place where hardcore kids went to gossip about shit. It didn't even exist as a media/outlet in the 80's when this stuff was around and real violent. Today's Internet and gossip forums give FSU all the attention and the old crews none.

- Age. The average age of hardcore these days is a teenager, the Thorp board is not the norm of 25+ year old dudes. Most of the people weren't around when DMS or even Courage Crew were around.

- Media attention. DMS didn't have much media attention and certainly didn't put out a pair of DVD's showing their activities in the scene. FSU seems to beg for the attention by putting out these clips and getting into shit like Rolling Stone & local papers.

I've heard a lot of stories of stabbings and shit back when DMS was the main game and how violent shit was. But nobody has ever really told me that they did things like FSU, mass beatings just because of a shirt or mosh, fighting for the sole purpose of fighting. DMS are fucking hardcore dudes that don't seem to waste time on petty fights just because you wear a Lynyrd Skynyrd shirt.

I'm like others here, 1-1 is how you stand up for yourself. Your brothers ain't gonna be there for you for the rest of your life 24/7, you need to learn to stand on your own 2 feet and with a crew backing you up every time you get into shit, you're never going to learn shit.

Mike, most of your points are right on. But let me say this...time makes people forget the facts. Back in the day, there were plenty of people who hated DMS for the same reasons people hate FSU now. But my point is not to compare the two, I have close friends on both sides of that coin. My point is that there are FSU guys who have done and continue to do more for the real hardcore scene than 99% of the people who talk shit about em. And I'm talking about first hand experience with my own band, my brother's band, and me personally. People argue all day about how FSU ruins the scene with fighting and shit...maybe they do. What I'm saying is that there are tons of bands of all types of hardcore who have gotten help from some of these guys. Regardless if these bands were fellow thugs or not. I'm talking about the true spirit of hardcore here. The reason why I'm defending these guys is because out of any singular group or crew in hardcore, honest to god, there are more people in FSU that care about hardcore and will help you out whether they know you or not.

Spoiler
Posting Freak

Mood: All that scene philosophy never meant a goddamned thing to me

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 07:07 PM

I'm from North Carolina....I'm a member of the Corn Bread Crew,and we will fuck you up if you come to my side of town with the wrong color flanel shirt on.
represent,corn bread for life suckas

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 07:37 PM

i never wanted to be a thug or part of a 3 initial gang for whatever dumb reason.
for the record, ive encountered some prominet philly fsu dudes over the years and my girl used to hang with some of these dudes as a teenager. the ones, whosnames i will cease to mention were the dudes who loved to start shit and end it 10 on 1. as far as i am concerned they belong in jail and not glamourized. in fact not too long a friend of mine was at some small show in a shit venue in w philly and had an altercation. some little shit, in a fsu hat delibritly elbowed him in the face breaking his nose. the friend of mine , no punk for the record, confrnted him and was more or les surrounded by a mob of them giving the idea of "what you gonna do,youre out numbered. as far as i am concerned, i could give a rats ass about any of the gay shit. i dont go to shows where theres people under 21 living out their gangster fantasies.
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 07:51 PM

I've met some good FSU guys on tour as well, booking some gigs for them in Canada before I left. As an individual I'd love to hang with them again and put them up in my house, but I would never go down to Philly or Boston to see a show where they were everywhere even though I know a couple of them.

No doubt they enjoy hardcore, they also enjoy fighting far too much. I'm not into fundraisers to raise bail money for a brother who fucking some kids life though, that's not what hardcore or fundraisers should be about.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
upyerbum
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
My point is that there are FSU guys who have done and continue to do more for the real hardcore scene than 99% of the people who talk shit about em.

Lots of people do lots of shit for the scene, and I'm sure those same dudes would be doing the same thing whether there was an FSU or not. I'm just not into that gang/thug mentality just for the sake of it. I've spent most of my life tryinf to rise above that.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 10:05 PM

The Philly shows where FSU heads have been holding it down have been rowdy on the dancefloor but I've yet to see a full blown fight. Last show I was at dudes were running security at the First Unitarian and the only time I saw one of theirs hitting a dude it was cuz the guy was trying to start fights with people during Madball. They dragged him out, hit him a couple times(which I assume was because he was throwing fists) and that was that.

I've heard tell of other shit, but never seen anything go down. All the dudes I've hung around with have been stand up guys.

I grew up in Indiana. In the late 90s Courage Crew was pretty much on its way out... but those dudes were hated amongst the mostly straight edge and vegan crowd in Indy. From what I saw, most of those dudes were punks and were punked out by Hardliners at Circle City Fest '99. I never much took them seriously, and proclaimed it.

upyerbum
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-17-2007 at 11:09 AM

I don't really care about the fighting or violence, it is what it is, but shit like this almost always becomes exlcusionary (?) and elitist which is the absolute opposite of what punk and hardcore is/was about. It reminds me of the football team when I went to high school, and we used to fight them all the time, or should I say defend ourselves.

Muttley

Mood: OVERKILL

[*] posted on 8-17-2007 at 04:01 PM

DMS used to get media attention also... I remember when a lot of shit went down in the early 90's and some local NYC news shows did stories about them.

The big difference is the internet, nowadays if Channel 9 did some shit about them the whole world would know within an hour of it airing thanks to email and message boards and shit.

Like it or not crews have been a part of HC since the early days. I've met plenty of guys from many different crews worldwide and they've almost always been friendly and hooked up me and my band and treated us with respect. As far as FSU some of the old school FSU dudes helped out my old band bout 7-8 years ago when we played Attleboro and the promoter tried to dip out without payin us. The newer FSU cats that I know (who used to be part of other crews) are all stand up fellas too (like the Shattered Realm guys).

That Rolling Stone article is all sensationalized bullshit anyway.

hardtone

[*] posted on 8-18-2007 at 10:07 PM

Well said, I agree. I?ve known some old school DMS guys like Scotty Banks & Kevone. They were stand up guys to me. I judge people on how they treat me not what they do to others. Some people back in the day deserved a DMS beat down and some probably didn?t, but that?s not my business.

Same with FSU, Alex Franklin I?ve known since 88 and was one of the only guys who stood by my old click Tri-State Crew when we battled white power fucks like Allentown Hammer Skins, ACS, & just random fucks who tried to bully kids at hardcore shows in PA, NJ, & MD.

Now Joe HC gets my respect for many reasons, and he gives respect back. I know FSU does dirt, but so did I back in the late 80?s early 90?s. Crews will always be associated with hardcore and we?ve all done stupid shit in our youth?

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top