Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ENDERA.x
Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
they do no wrong. Dissing any of MADBALL should not happen.
You're beggin' for it with that statement. Madball is a perfect example of what's wrong with Hard Core these days. Ball Of Destruction is the only thing of theirs I can even consider to be an actual HC record. The best thing I can say about them after that is that they make me laugh.

Man I don't know, you're the only person's post I've read I didn't really agree with so far in this thread!

Texas isn't the hood. It's hardcore I'm sure as you lived it. But not the same as how they lived it. It's NOT the same to everyone as it might seem nor should it be in my opinion. They grew up on the streets on NYC not the streets of Texas, quite a difference I think. Just like alot of the detroit and new jersey bands, even boston bands, LA bands perhaps. Whats the deal. You hate all the "thug" shit? Hardcore did represent the streets ever since the older shit and much of it still does just in a different style.

I agree with you on the Youth Crew front though. :|
90% of 'hardcore' bands from any various style of hardcore out there today are shit. Period. Thanks.
I saw the worst fuckin show last night and it really irritated me, too.
You really didn't understand a thing of what I was saying if you think I was trying to say Texas is "the hood" as you put it. Not that there aren't some serious fucking ghetto spots in Texas, but that has absolutely nothing to do with what my point was. What I was mentioning there is that back in the 80s we got shit for looking different than the normals and so we had to be on our guard whereas nowadays all the normals wanna look like us and somehow the average HC kid has become some kind of gangsta for some stupid reason. There's not anybody coming down on these kids because they're into HC, not like there was when I was a kid and we were all seen as a threat to the general population's way of life. Growing up in NYC versus Austin is going to be different, of course, but there's a mentality now that has more to do with gangsta rap bullshit than anything HC has ever really meant. If you look back at old school NY bands they might have been ready to fuck someone up for fucking with them, but they weren't writing songs about Drugs, Money, Sex. It wasn't gang mentality in the sense of dealers and pimps, maybe in the sense of watching out for each other because the world is a fucked up place, but not in the sense of fucking the world up even more.

Veritas odium parit
ENDERA.x
Posting Freak

Mood: Icepick

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 03:52 PM

Thats not what I said.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 07:59 PM

You know what's funny... I think when I got into hardcore and punk rock it was a little more like it was for you older heads back in the 80s. I grew up in a real small town and punk rock "fashion" wasn't the next big thing just yet. I was weird when I dyed my hair around graduation time. Sporting straight edge tshirts was weird and I only knew of one store that had anything to do with punk rock gear and hardcore shirts and shit and that same place was the only good spot to get records. Most of the fighting, though, when down between vegan straight edge kids and skins/punks. The normals stayed way clear of us.

Certainly wasn't the same as the 80s, but it certainly wasn't like it is now either.

Nowadays Hot Topic sells straight edge shirts and fuckin Throwdown markers. It's bizarre.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 08:58 PM

the silly belts hot topic sells are my favorite.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 10:56 PM

It's way outta hand. Kids are less punk because they don't have to work at it. Nothing's DIY anymore. Sad.

hardtone

[*] posted on 9-2-2007 at 11:59 PM

Except old fucks like us who aren't cool to the new generation.

Funny how shit works...

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 9-3-2007 at 01:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You're beggin' for it with that statement. Madball is a perfect example of what's wrong with Hard Core these days. Ball Of Destruction is the only thing of theirs I can even consider to be an actual HC record. The best thing I can say about them after that is that they make me laugh.

Man I don't know, you're the only person's post I've read I didn't really agree with so far in this thread!

Texas isn't the hood. It's hardcore I'm sure as you lived it. But not the same as how they lived it. It's NOT the same to everyone as it might seem nor should it be in my opinion. They grew up on the streets on NYC not the streets of Texas, quite a difference I think. Just like alot of the detroit and new jersey bands, even boston bands, LA bands perhaps. Whats the deal. You hate all the "thug" shit? Hardcore did represent the streets ever since the older shit and much of it still does just in a different style.

90% of 'hardcore' bands from any various style of hardcore out there today are shit. Period. Thanks.
You really didn't understand a thing of what I was saying if you think I was trying to say Texas is "the hood" as you put it. Not that there aren't some serious fucking ghetto spots in Texas, but that has absolutely nothing to do with what my point was. What I was mentioning there is that back in the 80s we got shit for looking different than the normals and so we had to be on our guard whereas nowadays all the normals wanna look like us and somehow the average HC kid has become some kind of gangsta for some stupid reason. There's not anybody coming down on these kids because they're into HC, not like there was when I was a kid and we were all seen as a threat to the general population's way of life. Growing up in NYC versus Austin is going to be different, of course, but there's a mentality now that has more to do with gangsta rap bullshit than anything HC has ever really meant. If you look back at old school NY bands they might have been ready to fuck someone up for fucking with them, but they weren't writing songs about Drugs, Money, Sex. It wasn't gang mentality in the sense of dealers and pimps, maybe in the sense of watching out for each other because the world is a fucked up place, but not in the sense of fucking the world up even more.

^^^^^^^^^ I'm sorry to say this but no one really looked out for no one back in the day and they still don't no a days. Bands diss other bands they tour with. Every scene/city has a problem with the other. Even friends one up one another with other friends/clothes/hair cuts/etc. A fucking mohawk is conformity the same as a skin or G.G. freak, or a toothpick 3 inches of blood douchebag with hair in his eyes. Its always been about conformity.

Too say MADBALL sucks is rediculous. THEY HAVE BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL AWSOME. No matter what record they have ever released. One maybe better but they are all good.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
RoughBrother

Mood: Powerhouse - Bullet Proof

[*] posted on 9-3-2007 at 03:44 AM

DMS is one of the greatest Madball albums, my top 3 albums are Hold It Down, DMS and Ball Of Destruction. Young Freddy sounds very sick...

It's a shame that when Madball had a gig here in Finland (for the first time ever), they played so much songs from the new album.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-3-2007 at 03:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

^^^^^^^^^ I'm sorry to say this but no one really looked out for no one back in the day and they still don't no a days. Bands diss other bands they tour with. Every scene/city has a problem with the other. Even friends one up one another with other friends/clothes/hair cuts/etc. A fucking mohawk is conformity the same as a skin or G.G. freak, or a toothpick 3 inches of blood douchebag with hair in his eyes. Its always been about conformity.

Too say MADBALL sucks is rediculous. THEY HAVE BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL AWSOME. No matter what record they have ever released. One maybe better but they are all good.

I have to concur. At least when I was coming up that's how it was, and I was in fucking Indiana. All we really had was Indianapolis vegan bands... which was divided between "PC" and "non-PC" bands who were all at each other's throats half the time. Then a few satellite towns around the state, and my hometown had a small scene of mostly Christian nerds. But it was all divided and shit there too. Cliques would mostly be 5 to 6 guys and maybe a couple chicks and it would all usually be formed around a band that those 5 guys were messing around with.

Hasn't been any different anywhere else I've been in this country over the past decade, I can't imagine it was ever really different the decade and half before that either.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 9-3-2007 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have to concur. At least when I was coming up that's how it was, and I was in fucking Indiana. All we really had was Indianapolis vegan bands... which was divided between "PC" and "non-PC" bands who were all at each other's throats half the time. Then a few satellite towns around the state, and my hometown had a small scene of mostly Christian nerds. But it was all divided and shit there too. Cliques would mostly be 5 to 6 guys and maybe a couple chicks and it would all usually be formed around a band that those 5 guys were messing around with.

Hasn't been any different anywhere else I've been in this country over the past decade, I can't imagine it was ever really different the decade and half before that either.
Sucks for you guys then. That's definitely how it was when I was coming up. Of course if I rolled into another town with 8 or 9 others we got shit at first, but once it was obvious we weren't there to fuck anything up it was cool. From the time it was first obvious to others that I wasn't just another normal kid, I was greeted and often befriended by other people who were into the same stuff. That happened everywhere I've ever lived. Fuck, it happened as soon as I moved here three years ago, so I'm a bit surprised to hear that it's never been the case for any of you.

I haven't moved around all that much, most of my life has been spent in Texas, but Baltimore in the mid-90s seemed pretty much the same way and here in the middle of nowhere now is pretty similar too. I've gone down to Albuquerque both by myself and with friends to see shows and haven't really had any problems. Actually, people have gone out of their way to offer friendship down there. One of the times I went down for a Darkbuster show, my friends and I actually ended up crashing illegally in the apartment that a guy we met had just been evicted from. The landlord hadn't changed the locks yet, so we crashed in a place that our host could have gotten into some serious shit for even going into by himself and he brought us there after knowing us only that night. Personally, I think that's a pretty good example of people in this subculture sticking together.

I'm not painting some rainbows and lollipops Youth Crew unity bullshit scene here, I'm just saying that there was a kind of "tribal" acknowledgement. If you were part of the freak family, for lack of a better term, you were accepted by that group. Of course, in those days it was quite a bit easier to determine who was part of that family based on first glance than it is nowadays.

Of course there were assholes that wanted to roll into another town and fuck shit up for those kids, but that's travelling high school football team mentality and it happens inside or outside the scene. There have also always been assholes in every scene that wanna be the king shithead and push kids around for their own amusement. We had our share of those back when I was a kid, most of them were nazi assholes, but later on it was also some of the leaders of the crews coming in to supposedly run the nazis out. Funny thing was, we had already done a pretty good job of running the nazis out by the time those dicks showed up to take the credit.

And no, Clevo, conformity wasn't always what it was about. I'm sorry for you if that's the experience you've had, but it sure as fuck wasn't that way for me. In my High School the freak contingent was so small we couldn't have gotten by if we had excluded everybody that wasn't like us simply because there weren't more than one or two people in any given subsect of a subculture. The Skins stuck with the Punks stuck with the Metal Heads stuck with the New Wave kids stuck with the Stoners stuck with the straight up Outcasts and so on. We were all targets of the jocks and the rednecks so it made a lot of sense for us to stick together.

As for your comment that it's ridiculous to say Madball sucks, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't belittle mine. Personally, I find it hard to believe that anyone can tolerate that music, but that's just my opinion and I'm not gonna back down from it just because someone disagrees.

Veritas odium parit
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top