Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What the fuck is Tuff Guy Hardcore?
hardtone

thumbdown.gif posted on 9-17-2007 at 03:17 PM
What the fuck is Tuff Guy Hardcore?

I was reading about a show in b-more (on 9/21) that we are playing w/BillyClubSandwich on a website where members were commenting on.

A remark was posted, ?I?m not going because I?m not into Tuff Guy? by some kid?

So I ask this question, who decides what is Tuff Guy hardcore? What exactly defines this sub-genre of hardcore? Personally I think that reference is retarded and my band is not ?Tuff Guy? whatever the fuck that is. I?m tired of young kids telling me what MY band should be musically classified under.

Somebody inform my ignorant ass what this bullshit label means...

I don?t write songs about killing, beating, or hurting anybody in our music. Nor do I care about being tuff in the eyes of some young kids I don?t personally know?

People are fucking sheep, when did the hardcore community become so blind and unwilling to listen to music for the sake of just liking a bands sound?

JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 03:31 PM

The term "tuff guy" is kind of irritating I guess because my band has been labeled as tough guy shit a million times and we're not thugs. And it kind of lumps us in with a lot of sub-par bands. But at the same time everything has to be given a name. The word hardcore doesn't identify anything specific nowadays. So people use terms like "posi", "thrash", "tuff guy" etc to distinguish different styles, even though some posi sounding bands don't have a positive message, some "thrash" bands aren't thrash at all, and some "tuff guy" bands don't beat up anyone.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 03:46 PM

i dunno how to label the shit anymore
i'm tryin not to latley out of hating alot of, but liking a little of everythinf these days...if that makes any sense
i remember hearing faggy ultra PC punk assholes in philly pretty much passing the "tuff guy" judgement on anyone with extensive tattooing back in the day.
but i am pretty sure what people clasify as tuff guy hardcore is stuff like Madball, Vietnom, Fury of 5, and more metalish sounding stuff.
then again what do I know right?
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 04:20 PM

Don't know and don't care. I have been in many a discussion about this with many people I don't even know at record stores or shows. The ignorant one is the one who lumps bands into these things. Its always some dude around 20 or so who thinks they know whats up and thinks HORSE THE BAND is cool.

I had some kid tell me AF have no right to call themselves the godfathers of NY hardcore because SSD was. SSD are from Boston douchbag. His words were "you know what I mean" Then he preceeded to tell me of a clevo show Roger and the Disasters played were they started raggin on Clevo and dissing the kids. He was like "He's arrogant and AF are just opportunistic and not really hardcore." I said "Opportunistic?" "We all are and that is life" I see nothing more hardcore than changing with the times and STILL being relevent. This was this past saturday when I grabbed ANOTHER VOICE in the used bin at a record store.

SHUT UP AND GIVE ME MY CHANGE FOOL. BEFORE I BEATDOWN YOUR PUNK ASS. THANKS FOR THE $10.00 used CD AND WASH YOUR HANDS YOU FILTH,Y STINKY, SKINNY DIED BLACK HAIR DOUCHEBAG.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 04:22 PM

The difference is about 200lbs total band weight.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 04:27 PM

I think anything less "punk" and more "metallic" than a band like the Cro-Mags, where the lyrical focus isn't primarily based around the toils of mascara clad existance gets lumped into the "tough guy" genre.

Theres a great CD I have somewhere from this dude Erik who lives upstate NY somewhere, it's tough guy fishing core, sounds like Bulldoze with lyrics about Rapala's and Bass trackers.
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 05:10 PM

I am guilty of using this term now and again but I mean some bands, such as Bulldoze have used this term to describe themselves. Usually it's more metallic hardcore (though a band like Skarhead goes against this) with lots of breakdowns, etc, and lyrical content that revolves around the street, crew, fighting, loyalty, etc,.

But yes, the tough guy term is one of the misused in the hardcore scene.

And yeah, whoever though Hard Response was Tough Guy is an idiot.

joemaconmovies
Posting Freak

Mood: pissed off

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hardtone
I was reading about a show in b-more (on 9/21) that we are playing w/BillyClubSandwich on a website where members were commenting on.

A remark was posted, ?I?m not going because I?m not into Tuff Guy? by some kid?

So I ask this question, who decides what is Tuff Guy hardcore? What exactly defines this sub-genre of hardcore? Personally I think that reference is retarded and my band is not ?Tuff Guy? whatever the fuck that is. I?m tired of young kids telling me what MY band should be musically classified under.

Somebody inform my ignorant ass what this bullshit label means...

I don?t write songs about killing, beating, or hurting anybody in our music. Nor do I care about being tuff in the eyes of some young kids I don?t personally know?

People are fucking sheep, when did the hardcore community become so blind and unwilling to listen to music for the sake of just liking a bands sound?

maybe it means you look "tuff"? i don't really know and it's only dumb little kids who got into hardcore yesterday and are experts in it in all aspects. ignore them.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
The difference is about 200lbs total band weight.

^^^^^^^ try 200 x's 4 guys.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Murk
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 09:15 PM

This basic form of metalcore has received the epithets "tough guy hardcore"--due to many bands' lyrical content, which often focuses on "the scene" and/or violence
stateofdisgrace

Mood: Kill Your Idols, H2O and Eminem

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 10:36 PM

Didn't you know that BCS was the devil????
forsaken

[*] posted on 9-18-2007 at 02:26 AM

over here the whole "tough guy" thing just related to bands with sleeves playing mosh music and their equally homosexual friends moshing on the edge of the pit.
MikeFromInhuman
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-18-2007 at 09:29 AM

When I think of "Tuff Guy" bands like Bulldoze, Fury of V, Vietnom, E Town Concrete, early 25 Ta Life, Skarhead come to mind.

hardtone

[*] posted on 9-19-2007 at 06:52 PM

I hear what everyone is saying, and maybe I take the remark personally. It just fuels me when clueless people try to express a relevant thought...

Go To Top