Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: I am Legend
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeCore
Watching the I am Legend DVD screener with the wife tonight. Hope to get No Country for Old Men and Charlie Wilson's War soon 8)

How do you get screeners?

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 06:40 PM

The book is pretty standardly regarded as being timeless. There's a couple tiny things in it that might remind you of how long ago it was written if you're paying strict attention to every detail, but certainly not to the point where it's in need of revision to make it read as current. If you were to go through and change about five lines in the entire book it would read as 100% up to date. Not to mention the fact that it's a vastly superior story to that sub-par turd of a movie that rips off a ridiculous amount of recent movies which were probably influenced by the original story anyway. None of the "updates" they made make any sense anyways. Why change the character? It takes away from the appeal of it someone we can all relate to by making him into this caricature of a military hero/genius scientist guy. Why put the lab in his home? That's fuckin' ridiculous and it removes that aspect of the story where he has to race to get back home before dark after working at the lab all day. What's with the bullshit happy ending? They completely removed a huge part of the story by making the people that came to find him normal people looking for survivors and especially by finding a whole walled in city full of them. The only purposes served by making those changes was to dumb it down and make it more palatable for the mass movie audience and to provide a handy platter for all that advertising in the form of product placement.
I admit, I did like the way they showed the city being overrun by nature, although the lions roaming free were a bit over the top. Anyway, they did a good job on making New York look like it had been suddenly emptied of human life, but that was pretty much the only thing I thought was really cool about this turd.

Veritas odium parit
MikeCore

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeCore
Watching the I am Legend DVD screener with the wife tonight. Hope to get No Country for Old Men and Charlie Wilson's War soon 8)

How do you get screeners?

Magically :tumble:
crazyfists28
Posting Freak

Mood: dale watson

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 09:08 AM

i had no problem with them putting the lab in his house. it showed how vital he was to finding a cure. it was his project and this allowed him instant access to his work. i find it more believable that a scientist like this could find a cure over a regular man reading up on it in the library. they still made you aware that he had to be in by day's end in order to avoid the infected. the movie didn't make him an everyday guy, but did a decent job of showing a family side to him. i'm not saying this is a masterpiece, but, for a popcorn movie it was pretty good. i wasn't a huge fan of the story like most of you are, but wanted to see how they would work with it nowadays, where all remakes are torn to shreds just to make a buck. i wasn't surprised that it was different, and i didn't care... it's just a movie. most of the people that saw this probably didn't ever read the story.
XnMeX
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2008 at 07:55 AM

I just listened to the audio book of this yesterday at work and wow..... what a difference! ALL the main points in the movie are different from the book so I can see whay those who read the book first are pissed. Down to the main character, importance of the dog in the film, what happened to his family members, the woman he encounters, the 2 factions of "evil", and the over the top hollywood ending which has zero to do with the book. I enjoyed the movie alot and the book alot. Listenening to the book after seeing the movie was like listening to a directors cut that was WAY different. Still can't believe just HOW much was changed. I would say the movie is loosly based off the book at best.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2008 at 09:37 AM

The dog was the biggest change...his slow nuturing of it really demonstrated his isolation better than him yelling at mannequins.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2008 at 11:12 AM

I just watched the film...liked it......
However, I also purchased the book off of Amazon and plan to read it. The one shipped to me has Will Smith and the dog on the cover and is pretty long. Have they changed the book at all over the years, like revised or added to it? Somebody told me the original version was pretty short. I wanted a basic copy of the original, and am hoping the one I got isn't just the new movie on paper......because if so I'm going to scrap that copy and go for the real thing...help me out dudes....
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-22-2008 at 11:40 AM

Even the old copies are longer, it's not all I Am Legend...but years back they tacked on 3 or 4 other short stories to the end, check the contents, I'm sure thats all it is. I Am Legend is under 200 pages I think, the whole book is probably 300ish?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top