Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Agnostic Front & Ignite speak out about downloading
BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 02:05 PM
Agnostic Front & Ignite speak out about downloading

http://www.distortedmagazine.com/issues/January2008/

http://www.punknews.org/article/27141

In a recent Distorted Magazine interview both Roger Miret of Agnostic Front and Zoli Teglas Ignite discussed how much the downloading trend is impacting negatively on the whole punk scene.

Not only is the impact being felt from a industry and commercial aspect, but both frontmen are finding that the messages they convey in their music is being lost as nobody is reading the lyrics that come with the CDs.

Zoli said:
They’re just downloading the music, so they’re not reading the lyrics and they don’t really know what the songs are about. With a CD you’ve got the booklet that contains so much information about what you are supporting. That is just one of the downsides of downloading, you miss out on all the extra’s that come along with a CD.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 02:32 PM

Not just with the illegal download sites but others as well. What about iTunes and Downloadpunk? No booklet there either. You can also look up the lyrics on the internet as well if you want.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 02:38 PM

I haven't seen much of a "message" in either band's music in years....
MikeCore

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Zoli said:
They’re just downloading the music, so they’re not reading the lyrics and they don’t really know what the songs are about. With a CD you’ve got the booklet that contains so much information about what you are supporting. That is just one of the downsides of downloading, you miss out on all the extra’s that come along with a CD.

I really could give a shit what Zoli or Roger have to say these days anyway. Then again I DL'd both bands new records last year and they where both horrible. These bands are shells of what they used to be and nobody wants to buy there crap anymore. Boo hoo. They both have changed their styles so much over the years that you wouldn't even recognize they where the same band if you listened to Victim in Pain then their new one and it's NOT a good thing. Same goes for Ignite. I used to love them back in '93/'94 when they still sounded like a HC band and I could relate to them but now they are trying to be some kind of rock band or something. They can keep it.
MikeCore

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 03:11 PM

Agnostic_Front-Warriors-(Promo)-2007-FNT

Ignite--Our_Darkest_Days_(Limited_Tour_Edition)-Retail-2007-OMA

0wn3D
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 03:15 PM

What the fuck is the message on the AF record?? I respect Roger, but come on! FAMILY... RESPECT... DMS... NEW YORK CITY! I think I can understand those without a lyric sheet.... *sigh.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
DeathByForce

Mood: H2O

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 03:23 PM

They're just meatheads that don't know the business. That's obvious.

\"rap isn\'t music\" - mozart
Kid Ugly

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 03:27 PM

I'm sure neither band has gotten new fans from bootlegged music of theirs, ever.

:rolleyes:
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kid Ugly
I'm sure neither band has gotten new fans from bootlegged music of theirs, ever.

WELL WELL said... and an amazing point!! I bet 1/2 the people into AF first heard them on a mix tape that a friend made them.

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 04:19 PM

I really could give a shit what Zoli or Roger have to say these days anyway. Then again I DL'd both bands new records last year and they where both horrible. These bands are shells of what they used to be and nobody wants to buy there crap anymore. Boo hoo. They both have changed their styles so much over the years that you wouldn't even recognize they where the same band if you listened to Victim in Pain then their new one and it's NOT a good thing. Same goes for Ignite. I used to love them back in '93/'94 when they still sounded like a HC band and I could relate to them but now they are trying to be some kind of rock band or something. They can keep it.

exactly what I was thinking

and

What the fuck is the message on the AF record?? I respect Roger, but come on! FAMILY... RESPECT... DMS... NEW YORK CITY! I think I can understand those without a lyric sheet.... *sigh.

I feel the same.
I mean what do these dudes think is "the message"

Bands like Sacred Reich and Nuclear Assault had what I considered to be a message in their lyrics. They were singing stuff that was worth reading the words. The meathead crap sung over Hatebreed's last 3 records played sideways just isn't noteworthy. I feel sorry for the kids just beginning to get into hardcore because it sucks ass...........
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 04:20 PM

The internet is the best thing that ever happenned to punk rock, period. Go back to the boardroom, boys.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Quote:
Originally posted by Kid Ugly

WELL WELL said... and an amazing point!! I bet 1/2 the people into AF first heard them on a mix tape that a friend made them.

yeah
thank you\
and I beleive Mr Gavin made a great point at saying plenty of this shit all started through tape trading.
i had a double cassette deck as a kid and copied tons of crap...shit there was even a feature on there that did it in high speed so you could do it quicker....
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 04:37 PM

AF's best lyrics were written by Peter Steele. There goes that whole arguement.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
AF's best lyrics were written by Peter Steele. There goes that whole arguement.

Touche!
Cause For Alarm
JUICE MAYNE MSHC

Mood: new CF songs

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 04:46 PM

they could easily put their lyrics on their websites or sell a PDF of the booklet with their music on iTunes like Municipal Waste did with their new album.
Illegal downloading does hurt the bands' and labels' wallet to a degree but pining away for the days of CD's is ridiculous.

clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
I haven't seen much of a "message" in either band's music in years....

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JUICE MAYNE MSHC
Illegal downloading does hurt the bands' and labels' wallet to a degree but pining away for the days of CD's is ridiculous.

Fucking right.

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum
The internet is the best thing that ever happenned to punk rock, period. Go back to the boardroom, boys.

No doubt. It gives bands that wouldn't have been heard otherwise heard. And it gives you the ability to tell how shitty a band is without wasting hard earned $

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 06:37 PM

The only people making money off of AF (or any old hardcore bands) records are people selling 1st presses, colored vinyls, test presses etc of the OLD stuff. Guess the bands should have held on to that stuff it they wanted to make money selling records!

Let all those old bands put out a record so that they can get some buzz and then go out and play shows and sell merch. Thats how punk/hardcore bands make money!

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

godabandonedme

Mood: Darkbuster

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 06:33 AM

Argh. If there was or is any message from these bands then they would know it would obviously be lost in the masses in sales or downloads anyway. First off the only people downloading those 2 albums are people into that music, people that grew up having to buy their cd's before all this bullshit anyway. If your so "for the scene" then stop complaining. If your not, at least stop writing lyrics about that an just come out and say it................second....this gave me a headache..................................when I really didn't need one. The reason I like Dropkick Murphys isn't cause they are big, but cause I liked them from the first time I heard them in like 98 and think Al Barr should have stayed with the Bruisers, but that's besides the point. HOWEVER, I still like the style and will still buy the cd and god forbid download it first. Thinking of AF I really really want to keep being into their shit but comments like this make me wana puke. Personally....?....Sounds like someones ship (*who defintily deserved it) came in a little late........and maybe is pissed they missed out on the boat.........Just my 2 though......

\"Leave the gun....take the canolis.\"
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 12:51 PM

i never heard one note from ignite and never will
a.f...........i give up on them
i love some of their stuff but the last few......fuck

i like bands that give shit away for free
you appreciate people checking your band and music out?
show them and give them something for wasting their time on you

when i was in a band, we sold some cd's for $5
then we all said "fuck it. people wanna check this crap out, they can have it" and we gave cd's to anyone who wanted them
now the web site has all the crap we did for free for people to check out thanks to duane

granted, my band was on a much smaller scale then these, but the idea is there

i dont care if one or one million people want to hear some shit we did
they get it for free
period

you come at the king....you best not miss
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 04:09 PM

To me bitching about sales just sorta undermines any credibility in punk rock. To just add "well, the message is being lost too" as an addenda to the commercial element of it... well shit. Here's a brilliant fucking idea Rog, try annunciating clearly and actually speaking/shouting/singing in a way that can actually be understood. Besides, AF's got no right to say anything about the message being lost when they let Combat put out CFA and VIP on one disc with NO lyrics. I can certainly make out more lyrics on Another Voice or the new record than I can on Victim In Pain, which is often just too fast to understand. Lightyears better record than Warriors or Another Voice, but how the fuck are you supposed to understand what the dude's singing about if your brain can't keep up with it PLUS he garbles the fucking words to sound tough and to get the speed he needs to keep up with the music?

Barnesey

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisReed83
Not just with the illegal download sites but others as well. What about iTunes and Downloadpunk? No booklet there either. You can also look up the lyrics on the internet as well if you want.

Yeah, so many punk bands list the lyrics to their songs online.

Live Fast Die Young
Push It To The Limit \'Til The Coffin Calls
barc0debaby
Posting Freak

Mood: Punk as Fuck

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 11:18 PM

Quote:

Here's a brilliant fucking idea Rog, try annunciating clearly and actually speaking/shouting/singing in a way that can actually be understood.

That shit bugs me big time, not just in his AF stuff, but with the disasters as well.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 11:38 PM

Ive never really understood hardcore bands with 'a message' or some metal bands for that matter. In alot of cases a band might have something that they consider really important to say. IE: Dropdead and their message about politics and animal rights. The problem is that NO ONE can understand a damn thing that they say! Plus even if you DO choose to listen to the lyrics, you already know what they are singing about. its a perfect example of "Preaching to the choir"

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 12:36 AM

I haven't read the articles but here's my thoughts on a few things.

- Without mp3's I wouldn't have discovered hundreds of bands I listen(ed) to at one point or saw live. It opened up a large new world for me in various genres of music, some I didn't even know existed and I fucking loved it.

- I largely got into punk/hardcore because of the message, sing about something useful once & a while, educate people with the open mic you've got. Get them on to something they might not have thought about otherwise.

- While I may initially download something, if I like it I will order it and support the band, and go see them live if they come around. When i was booking shows in Canada I often booked new bands I heard through mp3's as well, like Blacklisted not long after Our Youth Is Wasted came out.

- I will never download a FLAC as a high quality album in place of a CD. Mp3's are to sample, if you want high quality support the artist, buy the music. I still haven't found a way to understand why people download FLAC, if quality is that important and you like the band so much, buy it.

- Have always loved the cd booklet in my hand, checking out what is inside. Even something as simple as the thank you list is worth reading, see what bands they thank so you can go check them out too. Plus I love to see hundred's of CD's stacked on a shelf.

Trent Reznor just produced and sold some dude's shit in digital only and they sold a few thousand copies in mp3 etc. If bands offered say V2, V0 and FLAC rips at different reasonable prices, along with high res PDF CD booklet's, people would probably give them more money than they do now.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top