Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Agnostic Front & Ignite speak out about downloading
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Six66Mike
Plus I love to see hundred's of CD's stacked on a shelf.

Trent Reznor just produced and sold some dude's shit in digital only and they sold a few thousand copies in mp3 etc. If bands offered say V2, V0 and FLAC rips at different reasonable prices, along with high res PDF CD booklet's, people would probably give them more money than they do now.

This might sound dumb, but what is FLAC?

I remember when Public Enemy put out the "There's a Poison Goin' On" record as a ZIP DISC before it was a CD, LP or even a download! I thought that was pretty interesting and cool to see.

I definitly agree on thinking its cool to see hundreds of CDs stacked up. I think LPs are coolest, but CDs are a close second!!

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

Mood: Dead Hearts

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 01:40 AM

FLAC is a lossless digital copy, whereas mp3 is compressed format. Wav is also lossless, the file sizes are much larger too. Then again it's only as lossless as the final CD, and with loudness wars these days a lot of CD's are compressed through the ass right at the source.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
- Paul Morris, music director at 97.7 HTZ-FM
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 03:03 AM

I read the article and although I agree with some of th points made in this thread I tend to agree with the loss of sales thing they are concerned with. These bands don't make alot of money off of these albums to begin with, so when they lose crucial sales to downloading it only hurts them more. Now before I end this I am guilty of doing this as much as any other, I buy alot of my CDs but won't run down a digital copy of something to listen to. I have a few copies from people here that are awesome and much appreciated! I still plan to actually purchase the CDs of a few bands I have copies of right now because I too love the whole package deal. On another quick note, Roger Miret is a very cool down to earth guy and has no pompous scenester air about him at all as far as I know. I also agree that the way I found mopst bands i have listened to is from reading the thanks notes on CDs I already owned. That is a quick way to find all kinds of new bands out there.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
I also agree that the way I found mopst bands i have listened to is from reading the thanks notes on CDs I already owned. That is a quick way to find all kinds of new bands out there.

Thats how I found the MISFITS, from listening to Metallica talk about them.

Thats how I found PUBLIC ENEMY from hearing Anthrax talk about them.

Thats how I found ANGEL WITCH, from hearing Dave Mustain talk about them....

okay.... Angel Witch did suck, but 2 out of 3 aint bad! ;)

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 12:16 PM

i did that too when i was 14
but its different now
myspace is the new cd liner notes

you come at the king....you best not miss
MikeCore

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBadVibes
but its different now

Even though I don't agree with your hatred of YOT I have to agree on this. I found most of the bands that I listen to through VINYL linear notes not CD's. Don't get me wrong I eventually went out and re-bought (mostly used) CD versions of vinyl/tape records that I had but I don't listen to hardly any new music/bands or go to shows much anymore but I still have a thriving 'collection' of new music/bands that is for my personal use only. I wouldn't of bought this stuff in the first place so no lost sale from me :yes:
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX

Thats how I found PUBLIC ENEMY from hearing Anthrax talk about them.

You know what's funny? I discovered Anthrax because Public Enemy did Bring The Noise with Anthrax on Apocalypse 91.

Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 12:24 AM

Quote:
but its different now

Instant gratification, there is no real hunt anymore. It's nice sometimes, but then you think, shit, these fucking kids don't have to work for shit anymore, just point and click. I stopped using thanks notes because my collection was getting out of control and I did a stint in music rehab :) As far as cassette, I held out as long as I could on buying any CDs, but then bands just stopped making cassettes altogether and went straight to CD, it was hard for me to go along with that change. I was also the last motherfuckin kid on my block to get an Ipod, I really wanted to avoid that thing, but now I LOVE IT!!!! Change is good........sometimes
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 12:49 AM

THat how all bands get moticed. It's a network. Maybe once in a while you'll discover something on your own but really, it's all about the word of mouth.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
Quote:
but its different now

Instant gratification, there is no real hunt anymore. It's nice sometimes, but then you think, shit, these fucking kids don't have to work for shit anymore, just point and click. I stopped using thanks notes because my collection was getting out of control and I did a stint in music rehab :) As far as cassette, I held out as long as I could on buying any CDs, but then bands just stopped making cassettes altogether and went straight to CD, it was hard for me to go along with that change. I was also the last motherfuckin kid on my block to get an Ipod, I really wanted to avoid that thing, but now I LOVE IT!!!! Change is good........sometimes

I've had an Ipod for 2 years and just started using it....
MyOwnWay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 10:10 AM

People that download entire albums illegaly, and do it often suck. Those are the fucks that take the shit because its "free". Thats what they're bitching about. Nerds that sit at their computer look for a band and download their entire dicography. Sure thats great they are into the music. But the fucking studio the band recorded in isnt free, the instruments werent free, the cost of the rehearsal space isnt free, the cost to tour blows... Do you see where I'm going with this?

I came into Hardcore while people were making each other mix tapes. Thats how I found out about 95% of the music I listened too. But it was songs, not entire albums. And if it was an entire album, I went out and bought the cassette (wasnt into cds yet). Most people dont do that. They take whats "free" to them and leave the integrity behind.

Now. I will admit. I do download songs. if I hear about a band I'll jump on slsk and download a song or two to check it out. To me that is no different than borrowing it from a friend. And I tell you all honestly, there is not a single band on my computer that I downloaded, and l loved, and did NOT buy their disc. To me thats no different than checking a band on myspace or a smaple clip from the FYE website, whatever.

But there is a lot being lost from the whole experience when not buying the music. I love reading liner notes, and thank yous, and (I did this when I was younger) listen to the record just staring at the album cover. Its an entire vibe thats getting lost. I think the "establishment" is taking shots in the dark on how to legaly stop this because it is out of control. Sure, bands want their music out there. But when, lets say 500,000 people download it from an illegal downloading source, thats a number lost in record sales that the band is owed for their work. Dont fucking kid yourselves. It is about the money. Its their fucking music so it should be about the money. Let them get paid for the time and effort they put into it.

gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 10:19 AM

maybe if they stopped charging so god damn much for cds people would be more likely to buy cds
i see part of downloading stuff as a reaction to record co. and their rediculous pricing
"you wanna charge me $20 for a cd? ok, fuck you i'll get it on my own"
i like that aspect of it

you come at the king....you best not miss
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MyOwnWay
People that download entire albums illegaly, and do it often suck. Those are the fucks that take the shit because its "free". Thats what they're bitching about. Nerds that sit at their computer look for a band and download their entire dicography. Sure thats great they are into the music. But the fucking studio the band recorded in isnt free, the instruments werent free, the cost of the rehearsal space isnt free, the cost to tour blows... Do you see where I'm going with this?

I came into Hardcore while people were making each other mix tapes. Thats how I found out about 95% of the music I listened too. But it was songs, not entire albums. And if it was an entire album, I went out and bought the cassette (wasnt into cds yet). Most people dont do that. They take whats "free" to them and leave the integrity behind.

Now. I will admit. I do download songs. if I hear about a band I'll jump on slsk and download a song or two to check it out. To me that is no different than borrowing it from a friend. And I tell you all honestly, there is not a single band on my computer that I downloaded, and l loved, and did NOT buy their disc. To me thats no different than checking a band on myspace or a smaple clip from the FYE website, whatever.

But there is a lot being lost from the whole experience when not buying the music. I love reading liner notes, and thank yous, and (I did this when I was younger) listen to the record just staring at the album cover. Its an entire vibe thats getting lost. I think the "establishment" is taking shots in the dark on how to legaly stop this because it is out of control. Sure, bands want their music out there. But when, lets say 500,000 people download it from an illegal downloading source, thats a number lost in record sales that the band is owed for their work. Dont fucking kid yourselves. It is about the money. Its their fucking music so it should be about the money. Let them get paid for the time and effort they put into it.

Agreed.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
Quote:

Agreed.

90% of bands suck. Stealing albums is the publics last method of inadvertantly protesting the exponential and mediocre growth of the music industry because of the internet.

While the internet is a much more vast entitity than tape trading...I'm sure pound for pound a comparable amount of people dubbed copies of Black Flag albums as people who have downloaded Ignite albums. Did Black Flag complain about it? Maybe...but thats life...
MikeCore

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
Quote:

Agreed.

90% of bands suck. Stealing albums is the publics last method of inadvertantly protesting the exponential and mediocre growth of the music industry because of the internet.

While the internet is a much more vast entitity than tape trading...I'm sure pound for pound a comparable amount of people dubbed copies of Black Flag albums as people who have downloaded Ignite albums. Did Black Flag complain about it? Maybe...but thats life...

+1

I can record/mix/edit an entire professionally sounding record 'sitting in front of my PC' with software that probably cost me about .05 cents which anybody can get access to if they know how and digitally distribute my music via the interweb for free effectively cutting out the middle man (expensive studio time, contracts, etc.) and just get my music to the people which is the end goal isn't it? I don't have to worry about some label owning my music or have to rely on them to distribute my music. Sure labels are nice for tour/merch support but I'm not going on tour anytime soon or even going to any shows so what ever you say about DLing isn't going to persuade me to stop. It hasn't cheapened my music experience it's made my life ALL the better while saving me millions of $$$ over the years.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 05:43 PM

I miss LPs. :(

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 06:01 PM

Quote:

Shit with MySpace you don't even have to download a song to hear/see if you like it.

Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 10:51 PM

I download full albums only, and when I like something and keep listening to it, I buy it. I don't buy CD's without hearing the album, so many one hit wonders and bad records these days. You used to buy a whole record and it was stacked start to finish. Now lucky if you like 2 songs from the whole thing.

But the fact is I still buy & go to shows, buy shirts etc even though I don't really have the money to do it.

What I really hate though is people now leeching these lossless FLAC with cue sheets etc and burning them for archival purposes...who's fucking archive? I would archive MY OWN ALBUMS that I have purchased, but I will never get a FLAC as a CD replacement. Mp3 in good quality to try, CD if it's good enough to buy.

A lot of people ask me what kind of music I like. I love "soul music". My "soul music" isn’t a style, genre or niche. It’s music that is genuine. It’s a painful lyric, a dirty bassline, it’s a harrowing vocal, it’s feedback, it’s an anthem, it’s a love song, it’s anarchy. I’ve got my personal favourites but in the end it doesn’t matter who or where it comes from... so long as it’s good and it's real.
MikeCore

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 01:02 AM

Quote:
I download full albums only, and when I like something and keep listening to it, I buy it. I don't buy CD's without hearing the album, so many one hit wonders and bad records these days. You used to buy a whole record and it was stacked start to finish. Now lucky if you like 2 songs from the whole thing.

But the fact is I still buy & go to shows, buy shirts etc even though I don't really have the money to do it.

What I really hate though is people now leeching these lossless FLAC with cue sheets etc and burning them for archival purposes...who's fucking archive? I would archive MY OWN ALBUMS that I have purchased, but I will never get a FLAC as a CD replacement. Mp3 in good quality to try, CD if it's good enough to buy.

My wife and I went to see The Police a little while back and paid $35 for a shirt :wow:
Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeCore
Quote:

My wife and I went to see The Police a little while back and paid $35 for a shirt :wow:

I know I would own a lot more metal shirts if the Euro bands didn't charge $35 for a T shirt or $50+ for hoodies or long sleeve shirts.

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 09:44 AM

Quote:

Merch prices are WAY more out of line than CD prices...

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

MyOwnWay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 03:19 PM

Those that know me, are aware I love to debate. So nothing I say is to be deemed offensive. I respect everyones opinions. And am cool with those on here (as cool as you can be with people on a messageboard you've never met). But like I said, I love to debate.

Now... I disagree with the "sticking it to the man" theory. We are all aware corporate labels and chain stores charge way more than they should. They backed themselves into a corner on that one. But robbing the artists of their sales isnt a fair protest. For the time people take to download songs they could be writing a letter, sending an email, making a phone call, to chain stores or the corporate labels themselves. When people speak out thats when change comes. You may think its cornyer to take those actions, but thats how I feel about the actions of downloading in that context.

Now to those who say about home recording. Personaly. I think that idea and the follow thru, rules. If more bands could do it, its a very inexpensive way (overall) to get your music out there. The problem with that is not everyone is computer savvy. Nor have the ability to take the time to learn such programs. That idea is only going to apply to talented people who can devote their time to doing it. Which is not the majority of bands. Downloading other peoples hard work that they've already put into it, isnt justifying anything.

Merch prices are absolutely ridiculous. Most times it has nothing to do with the band. Its the merch company doing it (for big acts). For smaller ones, I think they typicaly reasonable. Although I have seen exceptions.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Which is a direct result of bands getting ass fucked in contracts, with 99.9% of their record sales lining the pockets of label CEOs. Merch is the only way to make money.

XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
Quote:
Quote:

Which is a direct result of bands getting ass fucked in contracts, with 99.9% of their record sales lining the pockets of label CEOs. Merch is the only way to make money.

I agree, but when we all know that a VERY small band can print up 25 shirts and only pay $4 each it means they can sell them for $10 or $15 and make a good profit while still selling them at a fair price. What I dont like and refuse to understand even though its been explained to me is when a shirt is $25... $35 or more! What the fuck makes a hoodie worth $75!?!?

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

Six66Mike
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 03:50 AM

Bands should have a paypal set up so if you don't wanna support their RIAA backed label you can download an illegal copy and donate the band money directly ;)

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top