Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Many things have effected the introduction to newer hardcore bands to myself.
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 12:37 PM
Many things have effected the introduction to newer hardcore bands to myself.

Not sure if it relates to most of you but I will assume it has.
1. Age - getting older and heard it all before.
2. Economics - money is tight and family is more important than making scene points for repping at several shows a year- ie playing the game.
3. Other supposed kids/adults/fans in the scene that just don't get it but have the style/image down to a science.
4. Some bands being terrible and really corny.
5. Gang fights and windmills at shows.

The reason for this thread is an explanation for why I ahve missed out on some really good bands over the past? Shit! Several years. Like since 2000.

I have heard rumblings of CHAMPION back then, but never gave them a chance because I was above it. I finally picked up PROMISES KEPT from the BRIDGE 9 sale. FUCKING A. This band is was awsome. Which leads me to several other bands I have heard lately that are now broken up, but it sucks that I missed out on them while they were around. BETRAYED. CARRY ON. CHAMPION. Among a few others.

Now that is what I get into. Hardcore. Call it what you want. Diss it for not being BLACK FLAG enough. But bands like TURNING POINT, GORILLA BISCUITS, SOIA, ENSIGN, H2O, TOKEN ENTRY, MURPHYS LAW, WARZONE all put a smile on my face. It makes me feel at home while life is a struggle.

This leads me to the new bands that I just heard for the first time or old bands since they are no longer. This CHAMPION record even though its been out for like 6 years or so reminds me of when I was much younger and heard a band like BOLD or BEYOND for the first time. I'm not looking back to relive something, its only a reflection of what I felt then and how I feel now. I still love this music. Even though many times you grab a new cd to find it sucks something terrible or the story subscribe is one they are copying from another band. Its refreshing to hear something honest and kick ass. I guess this is only a statement of the fact that I started to believe or feel that I am through with this. Its over and I must move on. Moving on is a must, but I will still carry this torch and represent who I am. I am Marty who loves hardcore. Real hardcore. Not as a image, but as who I am. Its been a long time, but thats the way it is.

What I am glad about is that BANE, AMBITIONS, TRIPLE THREAT, RIGHTEOUS JAMS and probably several other bands are still rocking out.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
MyOwnWay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 01:06 PM

Promises Kept is a good record.

Check out: On The Rise - Burning Inside

Thats one thats real good but most people slept on, including myself.

clevohardcore

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 01:09 PM

ME TO. I grabbed it during the sale. I just hadn't jammed it out yet. Will do later today. I guess it is the brothers from the new AF right? Guitar and drummer? Roger produced this I believe is what I read. I thought it jsut came out but noticed it was released in 2004.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
MikeCore

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 01:27 PM

Quote:

1. Age - getting older and heard it all before.
2. Economics - money's no problem. See number 1.
4. Most bands being terrible and really corny.
5. Gang fights and windmills at shows.

That pretty much sums it up for me. :yes:
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 02:28 PM

I like Insect Warfare.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 03:43 PM

I just feel removed from all of it anymore if you know what I mean...felt this way for a while..like the old guy looking at the young guy and not getting it......
MikeCore

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
I just feel removed from all of it anymore if you know what I mean...felt this way for a while..like the old guy looking at the young guy and not getting it......
sippers

Mood: face value-the price of maturity

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 04:44 PM

bitter end-climate of fear is amzing..these kids did their homework saw them last night in shreveport la,and they put a smile on my face.def reminds of the way bands used to sound..

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 05:41 PM

The first time I got referred to as an "old guy" was in my early 20's at a Madball show. I had a serious beard going at the time (would have been perfect for the beard thread) and some kid about 15 years old asked if I was the bands manager. I said no and asked why, he told me it was "cool to see you old guys still coming to the shows." It was all downhill from there.:barfy:

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 08:34 AM

This ON THE RISE cd is killer.

sippers

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sippers
bitter end-climate of fear is amzing..these kids did their homework saw them last night in shreveport la,and they put a smile on my face.def reminds of the way bands used to sound..
here's the link for them there's still hope for hardcore...

http://www.myspace.com/bitterend

MyOwnWay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
This ON THE RISE cd is killer.

Definitely.

Furly
Posting Freak

Mood: Not your band.

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
The first time I got referred to as an "old guy" was in my early 20's at a Madball show. I had a serious beard going at the time (would have been perfect for the beard thread) and some kid about 15 years old asked if I was the bands manager. I said no and asked why, he told me it was "cool to see you old guys still coming to the shows." It was all downhill from there.:barfy:

that is brutal.
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline

Theres only two ways to stave this old age bullshit..........

1) eat lots of veggies and drink your milk
2) fuck like a beast!!!!!!!
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
I like Insect Warfare.

I just checked them out...holy shit ..that's real grindcore for real
Gooch

Mood: Government Warning

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 05:39 PM

Youth Crew/Posi core is my favorite sub genre in hardcore, yet I could could never get into Champion. I love Betrayed and Carry On though.

I'm pretty good with keeping up with current bands. I'm way more selective than I was when I was younger. I usually won't buy something without hearing some of it first, unless its a new record by I band i already like.
I know most old dudes hate the current state of hc, but I think there are plenty of solid bands out there- The First Step, Triple Threat, Lion of Judah, Government Warning, Stepforward, I Rise, Soul Control, Waste Management, Justice, True Colors(EU), Have Heart, Coke Bust, Fired Up, Common Cause, Loud & Clear, Direct Control....

My mind is Clear, Free from hurt. My mind is Clear, Value its worth!
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 06:50 PM

I was going to a bunch of shows right before my son was born... the day he was born it was all downhill from there. Haven't been to a show since, and I don't really care to go. It's too loud, and my ears are already fucked up and ring all the time. No need to hasten my deafness anymore than I already have. Everytime I try to mosh I end up sore for days... besides, if I want to do kung fu shit I'll just stay at home and actually practice my kung fu instead of hopping around with the dingbats that just pretend to do kung fu. If I want to watch kung fu shit I'll turn on one of any number of kung fu DVDs that I own. Jet Li's got some greats. And if I want to hear a band I'll listen to the CD at home because, frankly, I can actually hear it and appreciate it best this way.

Shows = been there, done that.

BDx13
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 07:10 PM

"dingbats"

thanks for that, dave.
holy shit that had me laughing.

If I fail math, there goes my chance at a good job and a happy life full of hard work.
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 07:23 PM

I guess my biggest problems are the following:

1. Im lazy.

2. I get up for work at 5:30am so going out to a show during the week is next to impossible unless I want to deal with getting 4 hours of sleep.

3. I have so much music already that I figured "Ive heard it all before" so why should I spend money on a new band that IF I'M LUCKY will sound like an old band?

4. I've always been one to just "not like the popular thing" and Ive missed out on stuff and come in late on stuff because of that, but its just how I am. So when I see a million kids that I barely respect and cant relate to at all preaching about a band, I just assume that they are crap or I wouldnt like them at all.

5. I like alot more different styles of music now that I'm officially 'an old guy' so it leaves me less time to check out hardcore bands.

6. Even of all the old bands I dont like a ton of Hardcore. Im just really pickey I guess.

7. I'm old.

8. I'm an asshole!

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
sippers

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 07:32 PM

what did it for me was seeing a 17 yr old kid with GROWN tattooed on his stomach..

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 07:45 PM

Jet Li is awesome...
clevohardcore

[*] posted on 1-15-2008 at 08:04 PM

Telling a Lie is not so awsome.

Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 01:36 AM

As one of the bitter old hardccore dudes who has all but given up on this bullshit, I do agree, every once in awhile there is still something breathing you find behind all of the glitz and glam bullshit. But it dosen't pop up often and yuou really have to be lookin for it most of the time. These 5 buck sales are cool because it makes it worth going out on a limb to try something new without feeling burnt if your let down. I picked up both the For the Worse CDs and I fuckin dig em big time! Wish I had listened to these guys awhile ago. I also really dig Outbreak, but have all their shit already. so no go there. I was curious about Think I care, but didn't buy it. Any opinions on them?
mattybar

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 05:58 AM

i checked out Think I Care cos i read them being compared to Sheer Terror.
They're ok, remind me a lot of a uk band called Walk The Plank.
Wasn't into the vocals much though. I don't like that kinda strained vocal style, i prefer a really deep shouted style.

there's very little keeping me interested in hardcore these days so it's funny reading this post as i can relate to most of it.
the only bands i really care about in the usa these days is Stout and Wisdom In Chains (and i don't even own Class War yet)
in the uk, it's Hellbent Diehard and The Deathskulls.
if you like the heavy shit, check out Hellbent Diehard.
If you like the old school shit, check out The Deathskulls.

as for the american bands go, it's kinda the same.... i listen to Stout for that heavy shit, and Wisdom for that good ol' singalong hardcore punk shit.

but i haven't really come across any other bands that match the caliber of these four bands.
mattybar

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 06:00 AM

oops - forgot to add there is one more band i been digging

a new-ish UK band called Cold Ones

www.myspace.com/coldonesinyergut

just good old fashioned punk rock - loving that 'evil eye' song
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top