Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: All this Slapshot talk makes me want...
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeCore
Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoobillyman
Fuck that, TREE was the best Boston band evah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Closely followed by Honkeyball!:lol:

But CRUSHED by Stompbox :wink1:

FUCK YEAH, Stompbox was the shit!!!!! They ended up calling themselves Slower or something like that later and were not even near as good. Damn, I miss those days.
ShawnRefuse
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 03:24 PM

Slapshot, Tree, SBC were all awesome bands to see live. Before that I wasn't able to get in. haha. But I love Jerry's Kids, Gang Green and DYS too, just never got to see them the first time around, and this time is just not the same as the vids I have seen from back in the day.

When is Slapshot gonna play in New England again??? Why always Europe or Florida? haha.

Good punk/HC/oi shows coming up. Check out http://myspace.com/refuseresistband
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnRefuse

When is Slapshot gonna play in New England again??? Why always Europe or Florida? haha.

Florida because the price was right (very right) and Europe because hardcore bands are treated SO much better over there (plus the price is right)

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
MikeCore

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
because the price was right

Yeah, that's hardcore :umm:
MikeCore

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 12:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Fuck that, TREE was the best Boston band evah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Closely followed by Honkeyball!:lol:

But CRUSHED by Stompbox :wink1:

FUCK YEAH, Stompbox was the shit!!!!! They ended up calling themselves Slower or something like that later and were not even near as good. Damn, I miss those days.

Yeah, I had the misfortune of seeing Slower with Tree in Philly in like '95 and they where terrible. The OG bass player was singing and playing bass and they had another guy also playing bass. Their OG singer Eric, I think, was cool as shit. He snuck me in to the Khyber pass in '94 cause it was a 21+ show and I was only 18. They where cool dudes.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Not always, but it is the case when your talking about 40+ year old 'hardcore' guys with jobs & familys.

Quote:
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

MikeCore

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not always, but it is the case when your talking about 40+ year old 'hardcore' guys with jobs & familys.

I know but HC is not about money. That's what jobs are for. :yes:
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know but HC is not about money. That's what jobs are for. :yes:

I agree, but when you potentially miss work to play a show and you have a family, mortgage etc. then the HC needs to bring in the money too. :sniff: I wish it wasnt that way!

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 06:44 PM

They've earned it.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 07:45 PM

If someone called me and offered my band a shit pile of money to play a show I'd be there, in a fuckin' heartbeat, fuck hardcore, that's punk rock. :rolleyes:

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
MikeCore

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
They've earned it.

I'm not saying that they haven't but when it comes to the only time your band plays is when the price is right I have to question the sincerity. I guess HC has always felt that way to me. I may be 32 years old but I'm still 15 when it comes to HC. They did sound good in Florida though and it was fun. Too bad there was like 15 people there by the time they played :umm:
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Too bad there was like 15 people there by the time they played :umm:

Thats another part of why they are so hesitant to play out. There are SO many people that scream for them to play and then when they do play, there are never really that many people there. In Europe its a totally different story. They play to 1000-1500 a night if the places are big enough.

The other thing is that there are SO many shitheads that have some sort of problem with them that playing in an area where they will most likely be shitheads isnt worth it. When you have a wife and two kids why play a show when its taking a chance that someone will show up just to start a fight?

Years ago they were supsed to play with the DKM at the CD release party for the Slapshot tribute record at the Paladium in Worcester. The Paladium got calls saying that if Slapshot played there would be stabbings, so they canceled.

Then a couple of years ago they had a show planned somewhere (I cant remember where) and Chris Lauria got an email from someone saying that they knew a bunch of people that were going to the show and planned to storm the stage and beat up the band. Whats the point??

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

MikeCore

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 04:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Too bad there was like 15 people there by the time they played :umm:

Thats another part of why they are so hesitant to play out. There are SO many people that scream for them to play and then when they do play, there are never really that many people there. In Europe its a totally different story. They play to 1000-1500 a night if the places are big enough.

The other thing is that there are SO many shitheads that have some sort of problem with them that playing in an area where they will most likely be shitheads isnt worth it. When you have a wife and two kids why play a show when its taking a chance that someone will show up just to start a fight?

Years ago they were supsed to play with the DKM at the CD release party for the Slapshot tribute record at the Paladium in Worcester. The Paladium got calls saying that if Slapshot played there would be stabbings, so they canceled.

Then a couple of years ago they had a show planned somewhere (I cant remember where) and Chris Lauria got an email from someone saying that they knew a bunch of people that were going to the show and planned to storm the stage and beat up the band. Whats the point??

I can see all the points you made and I do agree HC isn't worth the trouble but I'd bet that if they had played those shows that the cool people there would of easily out weighed the dicks who would of just showed up to fight. The show in Florida went down fine and I'm sure a show in Boston would go down even better.
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
They've earned it.

I'm not saying that they haven't but when it comes to the only time your band plays is when the price is right I have to question the sincerity. I guess HC has always felt that way to me. I may be 32 years old but I'm still 15 when it comes to HC. They did sound good in Florida though and it was fun. Too bad there was like 15 people there by the time they played :umm:

That kills me, because there's so many bands that I'd love to see but they aren't coming to Toronto and I can't afford to travel for shows. I tried to convince Choke to do a Slapshot show up here but it isn't going to happen. The sad thing is, I'd be willing to bet that if they did do a show the turnout would suck.

As for the sincerity aspect, I both agree and disagree. It might make it seem less "punk" but when they have jobs and families to worry about it makes sense. If they were 20 years old I'd be first in line to tell them to fuck off. Besides, what's more punk than only playing when and where you want. Fuck what everybody else thinks is the right thing to do.:wink1:

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
panzerkreuzer
Posting Freak

Mood: gang green

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 06:55 PM

i read in a german interview with choke that their european tours are like holidays to the band, because they meet so much people they they know that the shows are only sidework.
bands like right direction,that wrote songs for slapshot,or backfire and lots of others are happy when they come over again that every show is a party.
it´s more like a family meeting for slapshot than a serious tour in europe and that´s a big plus for us here ...
excuse my bad english,i´m drunk as ...

MikeCore

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by panzerkreuzer
i read in a german interview with choke that their european tours are like holidays to the band, because they meet so much people they they know that the shows are only sidework.
bands like right direction,that wrote songs for slapshot,or backfire and lots of others are happy when they come over again that every show is a party.
it´s more like a family meeting for slapshot than a serious tour in europe and that´s a big plus for us here ...
excuse my bad english,i´m drunk as ...

I also have a problem with US bands that just run over to Europe to cash in also. Have some balls, tour the USA!!! Christ, GB did it last year and made a killing while having tons of fun. As I said I'm still 15 at heart when it comes to HC.
XHonusWagnerX

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 10:33 PM

panzerkreuzer is right about the Euro Slapshot tours. At this point they like to go over to see friends that they only see every few years when they go play shows for a week or two. Its all sorts of people, young and old, people in bands, people that are just fans and so on. It is like a big reunion or sorts. They definitly dont go over there just for money.

Quote:

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 10:36 PM

i piss on gorilla biscuits

you come at the king....you best not miss
MikeCore

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 11:51 PM

Quote: