Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

GROW MORE POT

XHonusWagnerX - 10-1-2008 at 11:13 AM

I've been listening to a lot of Jello Biafra spoken word the last few days and he has one skit/speech called 'Grow More Pot' where he runs through the benefits of hemp and then lists the possible reasons it was made illegal.

What are your thoughts? I don’t think I'm for legalizing it to smoke but mainly because of the second hand smoke aspect of it. If people can smoke it anywhere that they can smoke a cigarette then there would be lots of people’s houses that you could get a residual high in.

I heard awhile back that they could grow it with no THC content which would mean it had no effects when smoked, but could be used for paper, fibers etc. So why don’t they at the very least don’t they do that?

JELLO'S FACTS ON HEMP:

You can make 4 times the paper from an acre of hemp as from an acre of trees.

You can just grow another crop a few months later.

Hemp makes paper at 1/4 the cost of making paper from wood pulp & only 1/5 the pollution.

Hemp processing uses 1/5 the chemicals needed to process wood pulp.

Levi Jeans were originally made from hemp.

American flags were originally made from hemp.

The constitution as well as most early bibles were written on hemp paper.

You can get 4 times as much cellulous to make gasohol or methanol from hemp stems than from corn stalks.

In the 1760's in the American Colonies you could be jailed for not growing hemp because it was part of the key to becoming economically independent from Britain.

1630 to the early 1800's hemp was used as a form of currency.

Hemp seeds have more protein than soy beans & they are cheaper. You can also digest more protein from hemp than from soy.

Hemp was illegal during WWII, but American farmers were ordered to briefly grow it for the war effort.

JELLO'S EXPLINATION ABOUT WHY IT’S ILLEGAL:

1936 Popular Mechanics hailed the invention of a new machine to process hemp predicting that it would again become the world’s largest cash crop.

- upsetting large paper manufacturers & other companies with large timber holdings.

- upsetting the tobacco industry.

- upsetting DuPont Chemicals who had just developed a new wood pulp sulfite process as well as a plastic fiber which had surpassed hemp as the #2 fiber next to cotton.

- large drug companies feared losing revenue to medicines made from marijuana, because you can’t patent a medicine unless the medicine has chemicals in it. All natural herbal medicines can not be patented.

Marijuana was outlawed in 1937.

defstarsteve - 10-1-2008 at 11:41 AM

pot is legal in california

tireironsaint - 10-1-2008 at 11:59 AM

There's quite a few hemp foods around now, we sell several of them at the store I work in. There's even Hemp milk to compete with Soy and Rice milks. Adidas (and several other shoe companies) make Hemp shoes. Lots and lots of companies make hemp products and sell them legally in this country. I dunno where they get their source material though.

XHonusWagnerX - 10-1-2008 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by defstarsteve
pot is legal in california

isnt that just for medical use?

Can you grow it anywhere you want?

MarkV - 10-1-2008 at 01:15 PM

It's not "legal." You need a prescription for it, which, as I understand isn't that hard to get. Once you have it (oh yeah, you need to buy a weed ID card, too), you can buy it at special stores/clubs, and can only smoke in designated places, such as your house and I believe in the weed stores themselves. You can carry it, but it has to be in the bag or bottle that it came in, with the label on it and you have to have your card.
As for growing, you need a special license in order to that, as well. People can't just raise a crop in the backyard and toke walking down the street.

tireironsaint - 10-1-2008 at 01:35 PM

Amusing anecdote about the Hemp Milk, I had a soccer mom in the store one day looking at it and she looked around nervously before leaning over to me and asking "Does it get you high?"

MikeCore - 10-1-2008 at 01:57 PM

I used to like Jello when I was a teen but got over him long ago. Hemp is THE MOST versatile plant known to man kind. Either you like it or you don't. If it wasn't for my wife and MJ I wouldn't be here right now. The drug, tobacco, and timber companies SHOULD be scared :punk:

BDx13 - 10-1-2008 at 02:22 PM

when i was younger, all the pro-hemp people i knew when fuckin' burnouts.
no shit you want it legal, brah.

but as an old timer, i can clearly appreciate the benefits.
and no, i didn't start smoking!

XHonusWagnerX - 10-1-2008 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
when i was younger, all the pro-hemp people i knew when fuckin' burnouts.
no shit you want it legal, brah.

but as an old timer, i can clearly appreciate the benefits.
and no, i didn't start smoking!

Thats almost exactly what Jello said. He said that he doent smoke it (anymore) and that he never liked the effect of it and the culture around it, but its hard to argue the benefits of 'hemp'.

defstarsteve - 10-1-2008 at 06:21 PM

the perscription costs about 125.00 and takes 20 minutes of your time to get.
the perscription is good for 1 year. you do not need a docotors recommendation.
if you have anything wrong from cancer to insomnia to dandruff you can get the perscription.
you then can take the perscription to any legal weed store...
last count was something like 250 in the valley alone.
you then show them your card and you get your choise of not only the most exotic high end weed you could imagine
but it in many other forms from cookies to lollipops to oils and lipstick...
yes weed lipstick.
not everyone can smoke (health reasons) or enjoys to
you can buy up to I thinkn 2 oz's per day, every day.
as long as you have your card with you can carry it anywhere, and smoke wherever it is legal to smoke in the state, which is not very many places.
you are not supposed to operate heavy machinery as with just about any perscription.
anyone with the card can grow, 6 young and 6 ready to harvast...
this has been leagl for 12 years...

no one is getting shot or going to jail here for weed anymore.

as for hemp I'm sure it would make a great alternative fuel source as well...
as long as people have a stigma noone will know for sure...

I know all of this as the wife has a perscription.
without it I would have killed her by now I'm sure.
I have not smoked since I was 20...

XHonusWagnerX - 10-1-2008 at 06:27 PM

thats weird to me... It just seems ripe for abusing. I mean its better than putting potheads in jail for no good reason, but its really just a manipulation of the system (done by the system) and doesnt really solve any problems.

XHonusWagnerX - 10-1-2008 at 06:28 PM

Oh yeah... it must be legal in California because Schwarzenegger wants to smoke it!

MarkV - 10-1-2008 at 06:38 PM

I thought you needed a special license to grow, or is that over a certain quantity?
Also, the prescription, ie the card, has to come from a doctor, doesn't it? Even one of those "come in and I'll give you a prescription" places it's still a doctor, no?

Siczine.com - 10-1-2008 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX

What are your thoughts? I don’t think I'm for legalizing it to smoke but mainly because of the second hand smoke aspect of it. If people can smoke it anywhere that they can smoke a cigarette then there would be lots of people’s houses that you could get a residual high in.

Then are you for the complete and total banning of cigarettes and tobacco related products? And you obviously wouldn't be able to smoke it anywhere. Shit you can't even smoke cigarettes in bars anymore. So if I'm smoking weed in my house and someone doesn't want second hand smoke, or a contact high, then you can stay outside, my house I can do what I want.

And I am of the mind that if you want to destroy you should be able too. Alcohol is okay to kill yourself with as is tobacco and weed should be too. But because the government wants to stay status quo and not upset the alcohol and tobacco companies weed is "bad." And in actuality the safest of all three is weed!

Alcohol kills tons of people from both liver problems (and results in god knows how many domestic violence cases) as well as drunk driving and I don't even have to get into tobacco. And the most dangerous aspect of weed is smoking it but you can always eat it and get an even stronger effect. But I have read/heard that the smoke of tobacco doesn't kill the cells in the body, it pretty much turns that into non functioning cells that are apt to turn into cancerous cells unlike the carcinogens in marijuana.

AND the most retarded thing about weed being illegal is the fact that the government has made it a schedule I drug, meaning it has no medicinal value whatsoever. This obviously is a contradiction because they have given it federally to a handful of patients and of course the Prop 215 in Cali.

Siczine.com - 10-1-2008 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkV
It's not "legal." You need a prescription for it, which, as I understand isn't that hard to get. Once you have it (oh yeah, you need to buy a weed ID card, too), you can buy it at special stores/clubs, and can only smoke in designated places, such as your house and I believe in the weed stores themselves. You can carry it, but it has to be in the bag or bottle that it came in, with the label on it and you have to have your card.
As for growing, you need a special license in order to that, as well. People can't just raise a crop in the backyard and toke walking down the street.

Actually there is no license to grow weed. That is the biggest problem with prop 215, tons of growers in Cali have been raided by the feds and there is no protection for them. So it's okay for dispensary's to sell the weed but it is illegal to grow it.

MarkV - 10-1-2008 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com
AND the most retarded thing about weed being illegal is the fact that the government has made it a schedule I drug, meaning it has no medicinal value whatsoever. This obviously is a contradiction because they have given it federally to a handful of patients and of course the Prop 215 in Cali.

Well, Prop 215 isn't a good example from a federal level, since they absolutely hate it. They're putting pressure on landlords to get rid of their pot store tenants, and most people acknowledge it's only a matter of time before the feds start raiding the places.

XHonusWagnerX - 10-1-2008 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Then are you for the complete and total banning of cigarettes and tobacco related products? And you obviously wouldn't be able to smoke it anywhere. Shit you can't even smoke cigarettes in bars anymore. So if I'm smoking weed in my house and someone doesn't want second hand smoke, or a contact high, then you can stay outside, my house I can do what I want.

I know that in my area people can smoke outside of buildings in public places, bus stops, outside resturaunts, bars etc. So if Im standing outside that same resturaunt I deserve to get high because someone else is smoking weed? Or if Im waiting for the same bus? Those are really the type of things I was thinking of.

It would play into the house thing too though. Im not saying that people should be limited as to what they can do in their homes. Im just saying if a friend smoked weed all the time in their house, I wouldnt go there. Or if they smoked in the car, I wouldnt drive with them etc.

Siczine.com - 10-1-2008 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know that in my area people can smoke outside of buildings in public places, bus stops, outside resturaunts, bars etc. So if Im standing outside that same resturaunt I deserve to get high because someone else is smoking weed? Or if Im waiting for the same bus? Those are really the type of things I was thinking of.

It would play into the house thing too though. Im not saying that people should be limited as to what they can do in their homes. Im just saying if a friend smoked weed all the time in their house, I wouldnt go there. Or if they smoked in the car, I wouldnt drive with them etc.

I don't know all the rules where you're from but in Philly you can't smoke a cigarette unless you are within 15' from the building; this applies to any publicly funded school, state building, etc,. And you can't drink beers in the car so you obviously wouldn't be able to smoke it in the car.

And do I deserve to get second hand smoke from a cigarette? No. But that's somehow allowed. And if weed was made legal I'm sure there would be limited amount of places you could smoke.

In my opinion, your reasoning for being against the legalization of weed is poor.

MarkV - 10-1-2008 at 07:01 PM

I think it should be allowed in designated areas, much like booze.
Btw, there's more and more cities out here banning cigarette smoking in public.

MikeCore - 10-1-2008 at 08:42 PM

Quote:

You would literally need to locked in a phone booth with the person smoking to get a 'contact high'. You're not gonna get any effects just breathing in thin streams of second hand MJ smoke from a distance and with plenty of fresh air flowing around you. You're basically scared of nothing but I was sXe once too and can relate to how you feel.

XHonusWagnerX - 10-1-2008 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, your reasoning for being against the legalization of weed is poor.

My reason for not thinking it should be legal is none of the things that I mentioned here. My reason for keeping it illegal is that its a in my opinion its a stupid thing to do. We need more people spending more money on a chemical that they dont need?

At this point people that want it, get it, smoke it and stay out of jail. If its legal then there will be even more highschool kids doing it than there already and bottom line... its a drug. I think that drugs are a bad thing and thats my reason. You may still think that its a dumb reason, but its my opinion.

XHonusWagnerX - 10-1-2008 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeCore
You would literally need to locked in a phone booth with the person smoking to get a 'contact high'. You're not gonna get any effects just breathing in thin streams of second hand MJ smoke from a distance and with plenty of fresh air flowing around you. You're basically scared of nothing but I was sXe once too and can relate to how you feel.

Its not that I'm scared of nothing its that I'm unedjucated on it because I have no use for it and have avoided being around people that do have a use for it. I think its a stupid thing to do and have no interest in doing it or being around it.

XHonusWagnerX - 10-1-2008 at 09:01 PM

Also.... this thread was about the uses for hemp having nothing to do with getting high. Legalize it with no THC content and use it for cloth, paper, fuel, protein and everything else its good for.

clevohardcore - 10-1-2008 at 09:47 PM

That was form that TOILET JELLO BIAFRA spoken word right? I used to have that on tape.

JawnDiablo - 10-1-2008 at 09:48 PM

someone bring me over a bag....

XHonusWagnerX - 10-1-2008 at 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
That was form that TOILET JELLO BIAFRA spoken word right? I used to have that on tape.

Im not sure which one its from. The only 2 I had were 'No More Cacoons' and 'High Priest of Harmful Matter'. I just downloaded a bunch the other day and heard the 'Grow More pot' speech.

clevohardcore - 10-1-2008 at 10:46 PM

ya thats it no more cacoons.

Siczine.com - 10-1-2008 at 10:56 PM

Quote:

You asked about more than just the hemp aspect of it or at least indirectly did.

And so what is your opinion on alcohol and tobacco? Are both of those things that much better than marijuana? But I guess it would be hard for you to respond considering you never used marijuana so therefore can't say how bad or how good it is.

MikeCore - 10-2-2008 at 12:12 AM

Quote:

My reason for not thinking it should be legal is none of the things that I mentioned here. My reason for keeping it illegal is that its a in my opinion its a stupid thing to do.

You are entitled to your opinion just don't force it on others...not saying that you are of course.

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerXWe need more people spending more money on a chemical that they dont need?

Actually THC/canabanoids(sp?) IS/ARE found in everyones body. It's a natural chemical that can become out of balance and hemp allows you to re-balance it which will actually cure many common mental/physical ales.

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerXbottom line... its a drug.

MJ is an organic herb NOT a drug. Cocaine, heroin, meth, and alcohol which are all synthesized/man made substances are 'drugs' and highly addictive.

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerXI think that drugs are a bad thing and thats my reason. You may still think that its a dumb reason, but its my opinion.

I think 'drugs' are bad too :yes:

There's more to life than just three words.

Discipline - 10-2-2008 at 12:54 AM

The only reason I don't think pot should be legalized is because if somebody gets stoned and goes for a drive and gets pulled over, there's no on the spot test that can prove that the person was smoking up. At least with booze they can do a breathalyzer. If they can figure out a similar way to test for weed, then by all means, legalize it.

mattybar - 10-2-2008 at 04:51 AM

i could be wrong but i think there might be some kinda test like that, like a sweat test or something?

i can't remember though (yeah i smoke weed!)

the company i work for test hair and urine for drugs and it usually takes a few days so i may just have imagined the instant test.

here in the UK, they are talking about banning smokers from public places even if we are outdoors.
there's even talk of some kinda smoking police who will go around telling people to stop smoking.
if this does happen, it won't take long before someone knocks one of these people out.

XHonusWagnerX - 10-2-2008 at 07:32 AM

Quote:

And so what is your opinion on alcohol and tobacco? Are both of those things that much better than marijuana? But I guess it would be hard for you to respond considering you never used marijuana so therefore can't say how bad or how good it is.

Tobacco I think its totally riduculous. Its addictive yet most people that do smoke dont get any 'effect' from it. Its just they smoke another ciggarette to stop the withdrawl.

Alcohol I have no use for and I've seen it ruin or hurt a lot of people myself included because of some friends & family.

Again, you may think its a stupid reason, but right now pot is illegal (for the most part). If people can already smoke tobacco & drink alcohol legally why add another substance and make it readily available?

Again, I dont know much about drugs... I know that pot is a plant that anyone can grow, but heroin comes from the poppy plant so whats the difference? Why legalize one and not the other? Cocaine comes from a plant to if I'm not mistaken so whats the difference?

Alcohol is man made & thats legal, I'm sure lots of tobacco has additives in it and thats legal. Where does it end?

MikeCore - 10-2-2008 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
but heroin comes from the poppy plant so whats the difference?
Why legalize one and not the other? Cocaine comes from a plant to if I'm not mistaken so whats the difference?

Coca plants and poppy plants are the organic origins yes, but they are heavily synthesized by man into 'drugs'. Weed does not need any such intervention and it's also non addictive. The funny thing is all of these things where legal in the US less than 100 years ago and where mostly outlawed due to racial discrimination. Honus, isn't RI a med friendly state? Did you see a spike in crimes or any other social degrading aspects after the fact? I doubt it.

DaveMoral - 10-2-2008 at 11:52 AM

I use hemp protein powder rather than soy protein. It's definitely a superior product, though it's a bit more gritty. Still. Haven't tried the milks yet, but I hear they are good. The other thing, hemp oil for omega-3 fatty acids. Better than flax, and almost as good as fish.

You know, the truly fucked up thing is that hemp is cheaper to grow, cheaper to produce... and yet products made with it are uber expensive. It's more expensive to buy hemp shoes than canvas, for instance.

XHonusWagnerX - 10-2-2008 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral

You know, the truly fucked up thing is that hemp is cheaper to grow, cheaper to produce... and yet products made with it are uber expensive. It's more expensive to buy hemp shoes than canvas, for instance.

thats wicked fucked up & makes no sense! I wonder why? Could it be that they are marketing the things towards the stoner crowd who will buy it no matter what? I know that there are WAY more people that buy the stuff than that, I'm just thinking if that could be the reason for the price differnce.

Either that or because its harder to get hemp to produce the stuff because you cant grow it on your own?

XHonusWagnerX - 10-2-2008 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Honus, isn't RI a med friendly state? Did you see a spike in crimes or any other social degrading aspects after the fact? I doubt it.

I honestly have no idea if RI has the medical stuff or not. As far as crime I guess I havent noticed a differnce, but I can say that the mayor of Providence went to jail, someone spraypainted my roommates car & my house got broken into.

upyerbum - 10-2-2008 at 12:32 PM

Dupont was actually a major player in anti hemp propaganda leading to it being made illegal. Its a miracle crop really.

xoversux - 10-2-2008 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
I don’t think I'm for legalizing it to smoke but mainly because of the second hand smoke aspect of it. If people can smoke it anywhere that they can smoke a cigarette then there would be lots of people’s houses that you could get a residual high in.

I'm not convinced on the residual high thing.

mattybar - 10-2-2008 at 12:49 PM

if that worked, nobody would buy weed, they'd just sit round other people's houses.

Siczine.com - 10-2-2008 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral

Could it be that they are marketing the things towards the stoner crowd who will buy it no matter what? I know that there are WAY more people that buy the stuff than that, I'm just thinking if that could be the reason for the price differnce.

I know a lot of "stoners" and some may even consider me a "stoner" and I don't know anyone that will buy a product just because it is hemp. I think you have a really distorted view of the "pot" culture and think anyone that smokes is a raging hippie who can't function properly in society.

XHonusWagnerX - 10-2-2008 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoversux
Quote:
I don’t think I'm for legalizing it to smoke but mainly because of the second hand smoke aspect of it. If people can smoke it anywhere that they can smoke a cigarette then there would be lots of people’s houses that you could get a residual high in.

Im unedjucated so I dont know.... sXe In Your Face! ;)

xoversux - 10-2-2008 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I recall you being present at a certain coffee shop..........

XHonusWagnerX - 10-2-2008 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I held my breath!

I figured it was the coffee shop or go with some guys from some other bands looking for the company of some ladies.

Furly - 10-2-2008 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I held my breath!

I figured it was the coffee shop or go with some guys from some other bands looking for the company of some ladies.

YOU picked 'coffee' over picking up ladies?? :wow:

xoversux - 10-2-2008 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Furly
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I held my breath!

YOU picked 'coffee' over picking up ladies?? :wow:

He neglected to mention that this was Amsterdam and the ladies aren't free. :wink1:

defstarsteve - 10-2-2008 at 07:37 PM

our point of view on the subject...
I used to bitch at my wife for smoking weed before we moved here for the legal reasons only...
we have too much at risk for some stupid cop to play hero...
so she didn't really do it...

as far as how much she does is like 1 hit every 2 days or so to help her relax...
we are both under very stressful situations currently and the last thing I want is her screaming at me and the kids...
it helps her deal, so for this I am thankful...
it comes from the earth and is not created in a lab or some major pharmaco so it's better then 99% of the crap alot of people take to deal with life...

there is no stoner shit in our lives....
it is very discreate, and we do not hang out with stoners or anyone else like that
but we also don't hang out with drunks or junkies
people choose the subculture they want to be a part of...
and I think the stoner sub culture is so popular is becasue of the legality issue...

and you would not believe the number of everyday hard working people use it here.
from people with corporate positions to people who work for the state.
pretty much the same people who would have a casual drink...
but drinking is socially acceptable, even though it
s effects are stronger then that of weed.

weed is legal to grow for your own use and to sell to the co-op's
co-op's can only buy from the patients
keeps the big drug kingpins out of it
it is illegal for the co-ops to make a profit on the weed they sell...
they can only make enough to cover the expenses of running the co-ops
they pay taxes on the transactions...

there is no doubt that people suffer from chemical imbalances that cause stress, depression and anxiety.
for these imbalances people are perscribed all kinds of so-called meds
I would rather my wife smoke the weed that she grew in our back yard then trust some big pharmaco
since those kind people pretty much killed my mom this year.

as far as people being addicted to substances...
balance is the key to life, moderation of life's pleasures and pains

yes some people get addicted too easily to just about anything.
be it drinking, pills, weed, porn, money, merch.....
we as an evolved creature do have weaknesses and look to fill voids with what we can.
but are the addictions by choice or by imbalances in the brain?

if living life means you are suffering but a little weed makes the suffering better
who can say that it is not needed or right to use.

like I said I don't use weed,
I was edge for a long damn time, but life is full of flavor and experience
to deny oneself is ones own choice and should not be in the hands of the government.

MikeCore - 10-2-2008 at 09:01 PM

^^^^I'm with stupid :bouncing:

MarkV - 10-2-2008 at 10:50 PM

I pretty much agree with Steve.

Oh, and I had some "blue dream" the other night that was delightful.

upyerbum - 10-3-2008 at 02:26 PM

After my military service I had some serious mental health issues, I trusted my doctors and went on meds and nearly went completely insane not to mention suicidal. I flushed all that shit down the toilet and started smoking weed, it helped me immensely, it probably saved my sanity and my life. My wife, who is completely anti-drug was on board with it as well after she saw the change in me and how much it was helping me. I stopped about 2 months ago, because I don't like having to rely on anything to live, we'll see how it goes. But the good thing about pot is it is not addictive, and any side effects disappear within 2-3 days of stopping. If I do start to go south again I can just have a little puff. There is only one reason it is illegal, corporate interest, period. (by the way, I am the farthest thing from a hippy or a stoner)

MikeCore - 10-3-2008 at 05:00 PM

Great to see a lot of smokers/users here...good to know :thumbup:

barc0debaby - 10-4-2008 at 02:24 PM

Alcohol has ruined my life and been the catalyst for my pops being homeless for the last 6 years. Marijuana use nullified some extremely violent behavior and kept my ass from going to prison. Society condones my self destruction through drink and condemns my pacification through cannabis. Fuck that :thumbdown:

MikeCore - 10-4-2008 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by barc0debaby
Society condones my self destruction through drink and condemns my pacification through cannabis. Fuck that :thumbdown:

Like poetry....and not in the gay way :thumbup:

Siczine.com - 10-5-2008 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Society condones my self destruction through drink and condemns my pacification through cannabis. Fuck that :thumbdown:

Truth

JawnDiablo - 10-5-2008 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Truth

I agree with this as well.