Johnny_Whistle - 11-15-2010 at 03:28 PM

The Count Five
The Seeds
Stooges
MC5
The Sonics
Velvet Underground
New York Dolls

You could even go back as far as Link Wray and Dick Dale for punk roots, or maybe even some of the more obscure, raw, rockabilly bands of the 50s to find punk attitude and energy. Hell, even Johnny Cash had an influence on a lot of bands.

JawnDiablo - 11-15-2010 at 03:31 PM

green day

Johnny_Whistle - 11-15-2010 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
green day

Can I change my answer?

Colin - 11-15-2010 at 03:44 PM

I don't think this can be correctly answered

Vanilla Gorilla - 11-15-2010 at 04:46 PM

Metallica or Lemmy

newbreedbrian - 11-15-2010 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackout Colin

I'd agree. If you're talking about punk attitude and feel, I'd say Woody Guthrie qualifies. If you're talking about going against the grain and creating something new, Bill Monroe. If you're talking stripped down rock and roll, hard to go wrong with Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins or Eddie Cochran. Then the Sonics took a real punk approach to their music. Most of the '76 bands probably listened to New York Dolls, Stooges, MC5, etc but probably 50s rock and roll and rockabilly just as much. Or do you define punk by politics? Clash or DK would be among the earliest. See what I mean?

It really just depends on how you personally define the word "punk". Who was the first "hardcore punk (yes they are not two separate things...that's nonsense.)" band? That at least gets a little easier to narrow down.

MikeFromInhuman - 11-15-2010 at 06:02 PM

These bands opened the doors - NY DOLLS, MC5, IGGY AND THE STOOGES.

But this was really the first PUNK band - THE RAMONES.

lifeisabitch - 11-15-2010 at 07:57 PM

chuck berry...
erased the lines between race music and white music...

no chuck berry=no rock and roll= no ramones

a lot of the who's stuff and antics were pretty punk...

not any 1 band, but a feeling and a movement
that has since been sold out to hot topic

Colin - 11-16-2010 at 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by newbreedbrian
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackout Colin

I'd agree. If you're talking about punk attitude and feel, I'd say Woody Guthrie qualifies. If you're talking about going against the grain and creating something new, Bill Monroe. If you're talking stripped down rock and roll, hard to go wrong with Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins or Eddie Cochran. Then the Sonics took a real punk approach to their music. Most of the '76 bands probably listened to New York Dolls, Stooges, MC5, etc but probably 50s rock and roll and rockabilly just as much. Or do you define punk by politics? Clash or DK would be among the earliest. See what I mean?

It really just depends on how you personally define the word "punk". Who was the first "hardcore punk (yes they are not two separate things...that's nonsense.)" band? That at least gets a little easier to narrow down.
exactly what I was thinking

Six66Mike - 11-16-2010 at 05:54 AM

Bob Dylan and all the 60's hippes beat Dead Kennedys & The Clash to the politics. The folk music and protest songs. Too bad those type of musicians aren't around now, Ramallah & Propagandhi is about as good as we get but we need some real populist artists to jump on the "wtf is going on around here" stuff.

newbreedbrian - 11-16-2010 at 06:23 AM

Yeah, and Woody Guthrie beat the hippies to the politics, and there were protest songs before him, and something else before that I'm sure. Once again that's my point, punk attitude/music/ideas weren't created in a vaccum.

REV.PAULIE - 11-16-2010 at 07:11 AM

The Who.

My reasons?

They were the first band to claim a subculture...Yes,they "expanded",or "grew",later...But,they were the mugs that not only LIVED it,but CLAIMED IT...MOD.

It's about subculture...and,that includes FASHION and ATTITUDE.

AND TELLING THE REST TO GO FUCK THEMSELVES...

Yeah,it IS a young man's game...As well it SHOULD BE.

But,these "changing times" .whereas are necessary - Only destroy the innocence and glory of THE SEARCH...

The search for other's that feel like you do.
The search for records that when you crank 'em up REALLY FUCKING LOUD,make you feel like you can conquer the World.
The search for a time.space,and feeling that's not "exclusive".but FAR FROM inviting.

UNLESS,YOU GOT THE BALLS,YOU FUCKIN' FUCKWAD!!!

That's my Two -cent's worth...

JawnDiablo - 11-16-2010 at 08:30 AM

I'm gonna agree with the good Reverend on this one.....

1124 Records - 11-16-2010 at 09:02 AM

Gene Vincent

lifeisabitch - 11-16-2010 at 12:18 PM

that's 3 votes for the who
they win

Colin - 11-16-2010 at 06:32 PM

I still can't agree on one certain band, but The Monks "I Hate You" always sticks out as one of the early influences in my mind

lifeisabitch - 11-16-2010 at 07:11 PM

the monks are awesome
I had never really heard them until I watched a documentary on them and their reunion...
started a lot of punk, metal and noise stuff

wez138 - 11-16-2010 at 07:46 PM

jesus and his band of merry men.

Spoiler - 11-16-2010 at 08:15 PM

Hasil Adkins is my choice.
Listen to the lyrics to this song. He was singing about putting peoples heads on his wall long before the Misfits.

Colin - 11-16-2010 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spoiler
Hasil Adkins is my choice.
Listen to the lyrics to this song. He was singing about putting peoples heads on his wall long before the Misfits.
fuck yeah, the original one man band! I got a bunch of Hasil albums

tireironsaint - 11-17-2010 at 12:54 AM

To me, music has had a similar evolution to man or any animal. If we could go back in time and watch human evolution occur, I don't think there would be one being where you could stop and say that's the first human being and his parents were some other species. It's far too gradual a change to work that way. Same thing for genres of music, none of this was created in a vacuum and as has been argued here already, there's way too many influences out there that if looked at in the right light could be considered to be the key figure. Sure, it's easy to look back with the definition we now have for "Punk" and apply it to all kinds of bands who may or may not have objected to being defined that way when they were making that music, but it doesn't really make it all that valid. I personally have argued so many different bands and artists for this debate in the past, but at this point it makes no sense to me. It's all basically a subgenre of Rock 'N Roll which evolved out of other music like Country, Blues, and R&B which all came from something else and there are plenty of bands that were classified as one thing when they were active that might be considered something else by today's standards.

Mark Lind - 11-17-2010 at 10:34 PM

Whatever the first band was to have the term "punk" to applied to them was the first punk band. If you're talking about some sort of devil-may-care attitude that some musicians had prior to the punk thing then you can start with Robert Johnson and misappropriate the term to about 500 bands between his time and the Sex Pistols. But none of those bands were punk bands until there was punk music.

clevohardcore - 11-18-2010 at 02:19 AM

"PETE TOWNSHEND IS A PERVERT, KEEP HIM AWAY FROM THE CHILDREN"

Kid Ugly - 11-18-2010 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lind
Whatever the first band was to have the term "punk" to applied to them was the first punk band. If you're talking about some sort of devil-may-care attitude that some musicians had prior to the punk thing then you can start with Robert Johnson and misappropriate the term to about 500 bands between his time and the Sex Pistols. But none of those bands were punk bands until there was punk music.

I can definitely get on board with this. According to what I've read/heard, then the answer would be the Ramones. Some journalist had gone to see them to write a review and in it, he called it "punk music," meaning it as an insult more than anything else.

Vanilla Gorilla - 11-18-2010 at 02:11 PM

From wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt:

The first known use of the phrase punk rock appeared in the Chicago Tribune on March 22, 1970, attributed to Ed Sanders, cofounder of New York's anarcho-prankster band The Fugs. Sanders was quoted describing a solo album of his as "punk rock—redneck sentimentality".[71]

Dave Marsh was the first music critic to employ the term punk rock: In the May 1971 issue of Creem, he described ? and the Mysterians, one of the most popular 1960s garage rock acts, as giving a "landmark exposition of punk rock".[74] Later in 1971, in his fanzine Who Put the Bomp, Greg Shaw wrote about "what I have chosen to call 'punk rock' bands—white teenage hard rock of '64-66 (Standells, Kingsmen, Shadows of Knight, etc.)".[75] Lenny Kaye used the term "classic garage-punk," in reference to a song recorded in 1966 by The Shadows of Knight, in the liner notes of the anthology album Nuggets, released in 1972.[76] In June 1972, the fanzine Flash included a "Punk Top Ten" of 1960s albums.[77] In February 1973, Terry Atkinson of the Los Angeles Times, reviewing the debut album by a hard rock band, Aerosmith, declared that it "achieves all that punk-rock bands strive for but most miss."[78] Three months later, Billy Altman launched the short-lived punk magazine.[79]