Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

what was the first 'hardcore' band?

XHonusWagnerX - 11-17-2010 at 10:13 PM

based on my other thread about 'punk'... thoughts? opinions?

Vanilla Gorilla - 11-17-2010 at 10:30 PM

That's tough I know a lot of people say black flag, but i still think they were punk or more hardcore punk than straight hardcore. In my opinion its probably someone in the second kind of wave of those bands like minor threat. but still i think a lot of it comes down to opinion

wez138 - 11-17-2010 at 10:40 PM

Discharge.

newbreedbrian - 11-17-2010 at 10:43 PM

Bad Brains on the east, Middle Class on the west. Who wins? Middle Class had the first record out as far as I'm concerned, but Bad Brains defined it and have NEVER been bested. In their prime, they were fucking untouchable.

JawnDiablo - 11-17-2010 at 11:17 PM

I suppose it would depend on one's definition of the term "hardcore".....
I will have to sleep on this.
hell, it happened when I was like 3 or 4 I guess.

Six66Mike - 11-18-2010 at 01:26 AM

Hatebreed :P

clevohardcore - 11-18-2010 at 02:12 AM

BAD BRAINS

MikeFromInhuman - 11-18-2010 at 06:07 AM

Bad Brains on the East Coast - 1979/80
Black Flag on the West Coast - 1979/80

Do Middle Class pre-date Black Flag???

REV.PAULIE - 11-18-2010 at 06:16 AM

Bad Brains in CERTAIN WAYS,yes...I will never take away,nor dismiss,what they contributed...They brought the soul,and the speed,NO DOUBT...But,as in HEAVY-HOLY-CRAP???

DISCHARGE.

Their first Ep's were hard,but you try listening to the WHY? Ep/Lp?? That record changed my life.

That record SCARED people.

XHonusWagnerX - 11-18-2010 at 08:52 AM

I like these threads a lot cause if nothing else its inspiring me to find some new/old music to listen to!

newbreedbrian - 11-18-2010 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeFromInhuman
Bad Brains on the East Coast - 1979/80
Black Flag on the West Coast - 1979/80

Do Middle Class pre-date Black Flag???

Yup. Middle Class started in '76, and the first 7" (Out of Vogue) is from very early '78 (Jan or Feb I think). If you've never heard it type it into a Youtube search, I think it's on there. While Greg had musical things going in 76, the actual Black Flag band wasn't around then. The Nervous Breakdown ep was '78 but later than the MC 7". And this is where personal opinion comes into it a bit too, but to me as great as the Nervous Breakdown ep was (and it definitely is one of my favorite records ever), I see it as more of a raw punk record. Definitely a sign of things to come (and a shift away from 76/77 punk), but soundwise Out of Vogue really sounds like it came out at the same time as the classic first wave of hardcore punk but obviously it predates it by a couple of years.

CR83 - 11-19-2010 at 12:25 AM

I have never been able to enjoy Bad Brains.

3rdDistrict - 11-19-2010 at 07:34 AM

DEATH from detroit

Colin - 11-19-2010 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Six66Mike
damn, I was gonna give the same sarcastic answer.....

MikeFromInhuman - 11-19-2010 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CR83

:(

tireironsaint - 11-19-2010 at 11:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Seriously. This makes my brain hurt. I can understand not enjoying certain Bad Brains songs or even some of their later albums, but not digging them as a whole makes about as much sense to me as not liking to breathe air.

newbreedbrian - 11-19-2010 at 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
Quote:
Quote:

Seriously. This makes my brain hurt. I can understand not enjoying certain Bad Brains songs or even some of their later albums, but not digging them as a whole makes about as much sense to me as not liking to breathe air.

Yup, exactly.

Kid Ugly - 11-19-2010 at 11:22 PM

Quote:

I felt the same way for years after hearing them. Always said "They don't suck, it's just not for me." Then I gave them another chance recently. Sooooooooo glad I did.

Six66Mike - 11-20-2010 at 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackout Colin
Quote:
Originally posted by Six66Mike
damn, I was gonna give the same sarcastic answer.....

Sarcastic? No way that's 100% truth. :wink2:

panzerkreuzer - 11-20-2010 at 06:53 AM

Quote:

same here. i must say i like their live dvd from cbgb´s, but i can´t listen to their records. they have a few hits - right brigade is a killer tune- but there will be no love for this band.

CR83 - 11-21-2010 at 12:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know guys, I know. They just haven't been able to move me. I'm not a real "old school" guy. BB, just never grabbed me. Not sure why but just never did.

sippers - 11-21-2010 at 09:26 PM

i have to agree with Paulie on the discharge shit was sick....Negative Approach set an attitude that can't be be beat along with Poision Idea Pick Your Kings ep...

Discipline - 11-21-2010 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've never liked BB either. I like their early stuff musically, but I never liked HR's vocals. When they brought in the reggae sounds it just furthered my dislike for the band because I don't like reggae. That being said, I still think BB deserve all the credit in the world for their impact on hardcore music.