Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Phil Anselmo is a Sheer Terror fan

Spoiler - 1-27-2011 at 09:19 PM

ARSON ANTHEM's full-length debut, "Insecurity Notoriety", was released on October 12, 2010 via Anselmo's Housecore Records.
ARSON ANTHEM — the project featuring Philip Anselmo (DOWN, PANTERA, SUPERJOINT RITUAL) on guitar, Mike IX Williams (EYEHATEGOD) on vocals, Hank Williams III (SUPERJOINT RITUAL, ASSJACK) on drums and Collin Yeo (PONYKILLER) on bass.

"Insecurity Notoriety" track listing:

01. Naught
02. Foul Pride
03. Isolation Militia
04. More Than One War
05. Insecurity Notoriety
06. Pretty Like That
07. Initial Prick
08. Crippled Life
09. Polite Society Blacklist
10. If You Heard This You Would Hit Me
11. Hands Off Approach
12. Has Been/Has Been
13. Primate Envy
14. Death of An Idiot
15. Codependent and Busted
16. Kleptomania
17. Teach the Gun To Love the Bullet

ARSON ANTHEM was brought together in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, with Mike Williams moving into Anselmo's spare apartment after his home and possessions were destroyed. Through this connection, Williams and Anselmo spent time listening to Anselmo's irreplaceable hardcore music collection. The members relived the days of early '80s hardcore bands, such as DISCHARGE, NEGATIVE APPROACH, SHEER TERROR, and many others. It didn't take long for the music to squash their cabin fever, and inspire them to create a new venture that is now ARSON ANTHEM. Anselmo knew of the underrated-yet-unbridled percussion skills that his and Williams' mutual friend Hank Williams III possessed, causing the contact to be made and the band to come together. Finally, bassist Collin Yeo was recruited, and the sound was born.

lifeisabitch - 1-27-2011 at 10:28 PM

yeah they are playing tonight in NOLA
20.00 cover
tour buses everywhere

I have a problem with multimillionaires trying to sound like bands that are still playing small venues getting shit money and doing it in vans...

you wanna support the hardcore scene Phil, open a real club here, get a booking agent in this town to bring some bands here, sign better bands to your shitty label, and stop being a douche bag.

kids do this daily with none of that huge money he has and have more heat and sincerity than he ever will...

could be why he got kicked out of the scene here in the first place and moved to Dallas.

CR83 - 1-27-2011 at 11:02 PM

Never dug Anselmo. Seems like he's full of shit

Six66Mike - 1-27-2011 at 11:06 PM

Isn't there a Pantera video where he's in a Cro-Mags shirt?

There's a lot of hardcore breakdowns in Pantera tracks.

REV.PAULIE - 1-28-2011 at 05:47 AM

Oh.joy of joys...

JawnDiablo - 1-28-2011 at 07:13 AM

I always found Pantera nuts to be the biggest of boneheads......just my findings

Six66Mike - 1-28-2011 at 07:31 AM

Now playing lots of Pantera :D

Johnny_Whistle - 1-28-2011 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
I always found Pantera nuts to be the biggest of boneheads......just my findings

Oh, I think they've got some stiff competition from these guys...

XHonusWagnerX - 1-28-2011 at 09:28 AM

I'm a fan of a lot of the Pantera stuff and I like Arson Anthem & liked Superjoint Ritual a lot too. I know that Steve knows a lot more about Phil than I do, but just based on what I've read he doesnt seem like a bad guy. The last artical I read he admitted that he was a junkie and that looking back on old videos he looks and sounds like an asshole, but that hes clean now and trying to be back on track.

As for a millionaire trying to sound like hes in a small band, thats tough. I agree that Phil could do more for the NOLA scene if he really cared and that opening a club and getting real bands in there would be cool because based on what Steve has said it sounds like it sucks there.

The thing is, it seems like he really does (and always has) liked punk & hardcore and lots of underground stuff so if thats what he likes and Pantera is done but he wants to play then its hard not to play what he is into now. He cant just give away the money and struggle in a van for 'art', but he wants to play punk/hardcore. Its a rough spot.

With Slapshot in Europe we were in a big ass bus a few times and thats total punk/hardcore. And if it wasnt for the bus a lot of the band that go to Europe wouldnt tour because they are older guys and dont want to deal with being in a van for hours and hours, all though I went on a few van trips with Slapshot as well (but they sucked in comparison).

Not sure what I just said really, so I'll shut up now.

XHonusWagnerX - 1-28-2011 at 09:31 AM

Oh and ICP fans are way bigger shitheads than Pantera fans in my opinion. The average Pantera fan is just a big dumb hesher dude smoking weed, drinking budweiser, driving a camaro and smoking marlboros. The ICP fans LIVE ICP. They are kinda like bikers in a way because it infiltrates every aspect of their life and 24-7 they are juggalos. Like some people ride motorcycles, but there are a lot of people that are 24-7 bikers and theres a difference.

I do give respect to the guys in ICP for making all the money they have on a mostly DIY basis. They sell so much merch its insane but for years they seemed to do it all themselves (with their own lable and people working for them etc).

REV.PAULIE - 1-28-2011 at 10:10 AM

When I first went out to KC,MO in '93 ( I think),after the ST/Biohazard/SOIA tour,to get away for whatever dumb reason's were in my head - Pantera were just getting their name known.They were on tour,opening,for White Zombie & Megadeth...We got some free passes at the tattoo shop that my bro's ran,so we went.I had heard that Phil had cited me as an influence in some interview,so I sent one of the broad's that we knew with the VIP pass to let him know I was there.Granted,I was not a fan of their music,but I figured it would be nice to meet the guy that mentioned me.

Nothing.He looked at her like she was a martian (she said).

Whatever.It didn't really bother me because,like I said,I wasn't a fan.

Shelton,I would love to see again...That's Hank III...Without getting to involved,because it's worthy of a book - The bar that my buddy,Ken,owned on the corner of 9th St &Ave.C was the EAST COAST DEBUT of Hank3...The old drummer knew my brother,Roger,who bartended/managed the place...There's another book about Roger,and how he helped keep REAL country music alive in NYC during the '90's....Long story,longer - The drummer guy said he was playing with Hank William' grandson...We'd heard about him,but idiodically dismissed him before we knew anything...Then,he walked in the door to the bar (Monday night,maybe 25 people there)...Motherfucker was the spitting image of his grandfather,and we shit ourselves...They were in town to have their TV debut on Conan O'Brien's show the next night...Besides talking and looking like his grandad,he was the sweetest guy you'd ever meet.He went up with his band and played for at least a half-hour.We were FLOORED.

I was DJ'ing,that night...Aside from my country records,I had a small stash of punk records (45's) left over from the weekend at the bar.Shelton & I got to talking,and I told him that he should DJ...He's flipping through my 45's,FREAKING..."Wow!!! DAMN!!! YOU GOT SKREWDRIVER?!?!?!".
Long story even LONGER...A phone call was made,and we all sniffed our way into the morning.We called them a car service to take them to their hotel,and promised to watch them later that night on Conan.They said they'd do one just for us.

They debuted on American TV,wearing THE SAME DAMN CLOTHES FROM THE NIGHT,BEFORE.....The song they played?

"COCAINE BLUES".

I rule.

Paulie

XHonusWagnerX - 1-28-2011 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE

I rule.

Paulie

truer words were never spoken!
Thats a great story Paulie, and I hope you do write a book!

lifeisabitch - 1-28-2011 at 12:17 PM

Paulie you need to write a book for real...
your stories are way better than Rollins and look at the cheddar that fool makes...

Since I was chillin with my son I did not attend the big punk rawk show

my employee and the only other person I know in this town who listens to hardcore and punk went
said it was the worst pile of fake crap ever...

metal guys going hey hey were punk rock and mocking it rather than embracing it.

not a single hardcore or punk kid to be seen except for the smelly kids there to see haarp, and a large gathering of drunk meat head marine looking guys push moshing...

but I guess that's what is being called punk these days

Colin - 1-28-2011 at 01:44 PM

never been into Pantera....didn't really give two shits about that band until I started listening to Superjoint & Arson Anthem after getting into Hank III....decided to watch a bunch of Anselmo interviews a few years back, some OK, some he is burnt out as fuck....read that III was into Sheer Terror in an interview, & then was pleased to see ST listed as an influence in the liner notes that came with the 1st Arson Anthem release when I was radio DJing last year.
& Rev. Paulie, that was a great story

MattyA - 1-28-2011 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
When I first went out to KC,MO in '93 ( I think),after the ST/Biohazard/SOIA tour,to get away for whatever dumb reason's were in my head - Pantera were just getting their name known.They were on tour,opening,for White Zombie & Megadeth...We got some free passes at the tattoo shop that my bro's ran,so we went.I had heard that Phil had cited me as an influence in some interview,so I sent one of the broad's that we knew with the VIP pass to let him know I was there.Granted,I was not a fan of their music,but I figured it would be nice to meet the guy that mentioned me.

Shelton,I would love to see again...That's Hank III...Without getting to involved,because it's worthy of a book - The bar that my buddy,Ken,owned on the corner of 9th St &Ave.C was the EAST COAST DEBUT of Hank3...The old drummer knew my brother,Roger,who bartended/managed the place...There's another book about Roger,and how he helped keep REAL country music alive in NYC during the '90's....Long story,longer - The drummer guy said he was playing with Hank William' grandson...We'd heard about him,but idiodically dismissed him before we knew anything...Then,he walked in the door to the bar (Monday night,maybe 25 people there)...Motherfucker was the spitting image of his grandfather,and we shit ourselves...They were in town to have their TV debut on Conan O'Brien's show the next night...Besides talking and looking like his grandad,he was the sweetest guy you'd ever meet.He went up with his band and played for at least a half-hour.We were FLOORED.

I was DJ'ing,that night...Aside from my country records,I had a small stash of punk records (45's) left over from the weekend at the bar.Shelton & I got to talking,and I told him that he should DJ...He's flipping through my 45's,FREAKING..."Wow!!! DAMN!!! YOU GOT SKREWDRIVER?!?!?!".
Long story even LONGER...A phone call was made,and we all sniffed our way into the morning.We called them a car service to take them to their hotel,and promised to watch them later that night on Conan.They said they'd do one just for us.

They debuted on American TV,wearing THE SAME DAMN CLOTHES FROM THE NIGHT,BEFORE.....The song they played?

"COCAINE BLUES".

I rule.

Paulie

Definately have to write a book, this is pure gold.

BKT - 1-28-2011 at 02:26 PM

Quote:

"COCAINE BLUES".

I rule.

Paulie

haha. Fucking fantastic.

BKT.

gavin - 1-28-2011 at 02:48 PM

kinda sounds to me like he is dropping names of bands that make him "cool"
to seem more legit
kinda like metallica used to do with the misfits and whatnot
metal guys are funny
they all wanna be as cool as the punk rock people but never have the guts to go for it

XHonusWagnerX - 1-28-2011 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin

Yeah I can see that, but Pantera covered Poison Idea.

gavin - 1-28-2011 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Quote:

Yeah I can see that, but Pantera covered Poison Idea.

josh, there is NO WAY i believe that some glam metal dudes from bumfuck texas, who changed their deal to a thrash metal band because it was the "cooler" thing to do has any idea about that song.
someone, somewhere hipped them to it and again they thought it would add to their cool and legit factor

it didnt work on me
maybe to some of their knucklehead fratboy metal fans it did
i am having not one second of it

bottom line, be what ya are
if they are the lame metal knobs that i know them to be, then be that
stop trying to steal cool from our side
cuz you know damn well they were the type of metal douchebags back in the day that would have called all of us feaks and faggots until one of our big guys beat the shit outta all of em or 20 of us jumped them
bet

lifeisabitch - 1-28-2011 at 03:20 PM

my punk friends always made fun of me liking metal
my metal friends still don't understand punk or why I love it

the 2 should not mix that often

I am starting a band here
I am done with this bullshit

XHonusWagnerX - 1-28-2011 at 03:30 PM

Quote:

that should be the new Thorp Warrior motto

gavin - 1-28-2011 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lifeisabitch

DO IT!!!!!!
the reason i ever started a band was cuz i was at some show and all the bands fucking sucked and i said "enough of this...im starting a band that i would like to see"

do it brother
sounds like that city needs you to

gavin - 1-28-2011 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XHonusWagnerX
Quote:

that should be the new Thorp Warrior motto

sayin
we all earned this "cool"
some metal pussy cant come in and just reap all our rewards
fuck that
fuckin cowboy from hell
pah leeeeeez with that

Colin - 1-28-2011 at 05:10 PM

I was fairly disappointed when a chick I used to see proudy showed me her new CFH tattoo....I told her to look up this

gavin - 1-28-2011 at 05:41 PM

see???
yeah, they LOOOOVED negative approach
fuck outta here

lifeisabitch - 1-28-2011 at 05:45 PM

there is another one out there with them in pink spandex if I'm not mistaken

phil changed the direction of the band by stealing everything from the new orleans band Exhorder

dude sucks
got my craigslist add up
lets see what I can get going

gavin - 1-28-2011 at 05:56 PM

Quote:

got my craigslist add up

fuck the rest of this thread
THIS is what matters

panzerkreuzer - 1-28-2011 at 06:06 PM

listen to the new crowbar and relax!

MikeFromInhuman - 1-28-2011 at 06:36 PM

Phil also like Agnostic Front, Carnivore, Black Flag and Rollins Band.

Vanilla Gorilla - 1-28-2011 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackout Colin
I was fairly disappointed when a chick I used to see proudy showed me her new CFH tattoo....I told her to look up this

Ha, what a bunch of fruits

lifeisabitch - 1-28-2011 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by panzerkreuzer
listen to the new crowbar and relax!

I tried to today and I just cannot for the life of me get into this band

JawnDiablo - 1-28-2011 at 08:32 PM

I know nothing about the ICP thing.
I think those guys used to be on Stern years ago here and there.
I never heard of a Jugaboo or whatever until I heard of it here.
I like some Pantera songs.
I liked Dimebag.
I just had some personal experiences with some bozo wanna be tough guy Pantera fanatics.
Jersey redneck types
just my opinion.
AA is pretty cool.

JawnDiablo - 1-28-2011 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
to seem more legit
kinda like metallica used to do with the misfits and whatnot
metal guys are funny
they all wanna be as cool as the punk rock people but never have the guts to go for it

bingo
well said

JawnDiablo - 1-28-2011 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:

DO IT!!!!!!
the reason i ever started a band was cuz i was at some show and all the bands fucking sucked and i said "enough of this...im starting a band that i would like to see"

do it brother
sounds like that city needs you to

gimme a show you

JawnDiablo - 1-28-2011 at 08:40 PM

their PI cover sucked shit.
So did Machine Head's

XHonusWagnerX - 1-28-2011 at 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackout Colin

I have that album, thats POWER METAL.
Thats the first one with Phil on it. The other albums were Vinny, Daryll & Rex, but with a different singer.

MikeFromInhuman - 1-28-2011 at 09:19 PM

REMEMBER: Everyone has a PAST.

gavin - 1-28-2011 at 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeFromInhuman
REMEMBER: Everyone has a PAST.

i wrote a whole thing to this but i dont care about any of this anymore except steve starting a band
you're right in the fact that everyone has a past
i was into metal until 8th grade...1985-86
then i got wise to what's what

im sure phil is a wonderful person
more power to him
i am just not interested
at all

DaveMoral - 1-29-2011 at 05:18 PM

This thread needs to win an award like in the old days... and gavin won the thread IMO. No offence to the Rev, but I like what this thing has turned into since gavin gave his 2 cents.

Six66Mike - 1-29-2011 at 05:22 PM

lol does DB need to start a scoreboard.php page for our threads now so we can keep track? :grin:

Colin - 1-29-2011 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
I know nothing about the ICP thing.
I think those guys used to be on Stern years ago here and there.
I never heard of a Jugaboo or whatever until I heard of it here.

I thought they died out some years back, but there's a whole new generation of them. It's really big with troubled latchkey youth here in the southwest
Quote:
their PI cover sucked shit.

they lazily ripped it off down to the samples & everything.

morgan - 1-29-2011 at 06:54 PM

I dig Arson Anthem and Down. Never listened to enough Pantera to form an opinion on them or Phil.

MikeFromInhuman - 1-29-2011 at 07:27 PM

FYI - I am not even the biggest fan of Pantera, I just have respect for Phil. We both have similar musical tastes, that is for sure.

AND - very recently he really won me over in an interview with DECIBEL MAGAZINE. He clearly says the following:

- Make no mistake, Pantera was a METAL band.
- I wanted to take the influences of Hardcore singers like Henry Rollins and Roget Miret and bring them into a Metal band.

Mission accomplished.

And - NO other Metal band gave back to scene like Pantera did by taking out smaller Metal bands like SATYRICON, TYPE O NEGATIVE, EYEHATEGOD, CROWBAR etc.

Hard NOT to like Phil Anselmo.

XHonusWagnerX - 1-29-2011 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeFromInhuman
FYI - I am not even the biggest fan of Pantera, I just have respect for Phil. We both have similar musical tastes, that is for sure.

AND - very recently he really won me over in an interview with DECIBEL MAGAZINE. He clearly says the following:

- Make no mistake, Pantera was a METAL band.
- I wanted to take the influences of Hardcore singers like Henry Rollins and Roget Miret and bring them into a Metal band.

Mission accomplished.

And - NO other Metal band gave back to scene like Pantera did by taking out smaller Metal bands like SATYRICON, TYPE O NEGATIVE, EYEHATEGOD, CROWBAR etc.

Hard NOT to like Phil Anselmo.

I've always liked a lot of Pantera stuff, but that interview was what changed my mind about some of the issues I had with Phil too

gavin - 1-29-2011 at 09:03 PM

steve's new band >pantera

REV.PAULIE - 1-30-2011 at 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMoral
This thread needs to win an award like in the old days... and gavin won the thread IMO. No offence to the Rev, but I like what this thing has turned into since gavin gave his 2 cents.

No offense taken,Bro...I wish me and my deeds were never mentioned!

And,no offense to Mikey Inhuman,but NYHC gave my friend Pete Steele his first attention,way before Mr.Angry...Carnivore were the only metal band from NY that mattered,in my opinion...Pete saw the loyalty in "our scene" and tried his best to embrace it...Being an awkward,6' plus polack from an Orthodox Jewis 'Hood..It was the HC guys who tried to exploit HIM,to have heavy songs with heavy lyrics witten because they were too lazy to do it themselves..Unlike Anthrax,who only tried to jump in and run with it...Anthrax SUCKED then,and I am positive that they SUCK now.

Six66Mike - 1-30-2011 at 04:20 PM

Never liked Anthrax much but still on a Pantera fix thanks to this thread. Vulgar Display of Power ready for the bus ride to work.

gavin - 1-30-2011 at 04:43 PM

Ugh anthrax....so so so not good

MikeFromInhuman - 1-30-2011 at 05:03 PM

Paul - I know all about Pete and NYHC.
I myself have told many of the younger HC set about Pete's history with NYHC over the years.

Anthrax - another story entirely! HA!

gavin - 1-30-2011 at 05:15 PM

Caught in a mosh...
Fuuuuuuuck you and your jams shorts and your "rapping"

BDx13 - 1-30-2011 at 06:07 PM

man, i wouldn't know a pantera song if i heard it.
this is just a band i never, ever listened to.

JawnDiablo - 1-30-2011 at 06:41 PM

Gavin, I knew a dude, named Bruno of all things, who had a Pantera tattoo.
He got shot.

gavin - 1-30-2011 at 06:42 PM

Cowboys from hell
What?
Really?
Oy vey

gavin - 1-30-2011 at 06:49 PM

I knew bruno
And it was appropriate he had a pantera tattoo
Fitting

JawnDiablo - 1-30-2011 at 06:56 PM

well oi vey to that then...small town
I also knew the bozo who murdered him, and sadly i credit him with getting me into this dumb music / subculture

gavin - 1-30-2011 at 07:10 PM

Word?
Who was it?
I knew at some point but chose to forget such things

JawnDiablo - 1-30-2011 at 07:22 PM

Some dude named Eric.
Buck knows who he was.
A Clifton knucklehead, of course....

I don't know how I forgot this here little tidbit, but this other bozo who I hung with sucker punched Pantera Phil back in like 90 or something at the troc when they were opening for Suicidal.
Phil jumped into the audience and this guy punched up and made contact with is jaw.
Dude got tossed.
He is also doing murder time for like ever I guess....
Strange friends I kept as a kid.......

CR83 - 1-30-2011 at 11:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:

got my craigslist add up

THIS is what matters

This is the exact reason why Gavin rules. He is like the conscience of this board. Sees through the extra stuff and lays it out there.

Thanks as always Man.

Six66Mike - 1-31-2011 at 12:43 AM

I just realized how awesome the double kick in Becoming is.

gavin - 1-31-2011 at 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CR83
Quote:
Quote:

got my craigslist add up

THIS is what matters

This is the exact reason why Gavin rules. He is like the conscience of this board. Sees through the extra stuff and lays it out there.

Thanks as always Man.

Wow..
I don't know what to say to that
Thank you

lifeisabitch - 1-31-2011 at 11:25 AM

update:

bass player and possible drummer found (other people are sick of there being nothing good going on here)
I'm playing guitar
writing fast fucking riffs and songs,
black flag, and circle jerks, early soia, and early AF...
yes OFF was my favorite thing going on from last year.
if there are breaks or breakdowns they'll be actual riffs not open E chug
old hardcore played by old dudes
the kids got it wrong!!!!

Discipline - 1-31-2011 at 11:32 AM

:roll:

panzerkreuzer - 1-31-2011 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
update:

bass player and possible drummer found (other people are sick of there being nothing good going on here)
I'm playing guitar

phil´s on vocals? ;)

gavin - 1-31-2011 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
update:

I'm playing guitar

beautiful

Colin - 1-31-2011 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
update:

I'm playing guitar

best of luck to ya

newbreedbrian - 1-31-2011 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
update:

I'm playing guitar

beautiful

DaveMoral - 1-31-2011 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
update:

I'm playing guitar

:thumbup:

tireironsaint - 1-31-2011 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
update:

I'm playing guitar

beautiful

Spoiler - 1-31-2011 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
update:

I'm playing guitar

I hope this all comes together for you (and us).....looking forward to hearing what you come up with.

Vanilla Gorilla - 1-31-2011 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spoiler
Quote:
update:

I'm playing guitar

I hope this all comes together for you (and us).....looking forward to hearing what you come up with.

lifeisabitch - 1-31-2011 at 11:37 PM

I am possibly writing with the guy this weekend...
if not I'm just gonna start writing on my 8 track and with the drum machine...
i might have some stuff for next week...

CR83 - 2-1-2011 at 12:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by CR83
Quote:
Quote:

got my craigslist add up

THIS is what matters

Thanks as always Man.

Wow..
I don't know what to say to that
Thank you

No sweat man. It's just refreshing.

gavin - 2-1-2011 at 01:26 AM

Quote:
I am possibly writing with the guy this weekend...
if not I'm just gonna start writing on my 8 track and with the drum machine...
i might have some stuff for next week...

We did a bunch of our new songs with a drum machine...just so we were gettin stuff down until we found a drummer...actually worked really well and helped a lot...kept us active and writing when we were stuck without a drummer

REV.PAULIE - 2-1-2011 at 06:11 AM

I just read through more of the original post...Shelton's on drums??? And,not for nothin',he knows me as Paulie from 9C (our old bar)...I never mentioned ST in a conversation with him,and JoeCoffe played it's 2nd show opening for him...'Just saying...Wierd...

XHonusWagnerX - 2-1-2011 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
I just read through more of the original post...Shelton's on drums??? And,not for nothin',he knows me as Paulie from 9C (our old bar)...I never mentioned ST in a conversation with him,and JoeCoffe played it's 2nd show opening for him...'Just saying...Wierd...

Yeah Shelton plays drums for Arson Anthem with Phil Anselmo playing guitar and he played bass with Superjoint Ritual with Phil Anselmo singing.

mattybar - 2-1-2011 at 09:00 AM

As a sidenote, we ended up in 9C bar several times on a trip to NY in 2001.
caught this great country band featuring two Aussie sisters and strangely enough, the bass player from Helmet.

We also met you, Paulie, but I don't expect you to remember!
I don't remember much other than the bar we ended up in with Jimmy G and yourself was apparently featured in the tranny scene in Crocodile Dundee.

BDx13 - 2-1-2011 at 02:14 PM

when i first moved to nyc in the mid-90s, i spent a lot of time hanging with a couple friends that lived in a squat on 9th b/t c & d. any time the topic of scabies came up in conversation, that was my cue to give up the stoop drinkin and head for 9c. saw paul there spinnin records on a number of occasions. never said anything to him though cause we didn't know one another (this is five years before we even started thorp) and i tend to think the last thing people want when they're out for the night is some schmuck commin up and telling them they've seen their band 500,000 times.

JawnDiablo - 2-1-2011 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BD
and i tend to think the last thing people want when they're out for the night is some schmuck commin up and telling them they've seen their band 500,000 times.

ha I thought the exact same thing.
but Paul was super nice when i met him a couple times in Philly.

hammerxnails - 2-1-2011 at 11:23 PM

Phil was a hanger-on with alot of the skinheads in New Orleans in the early 90s. Not really surprising he would be into any of that stuff. Besides that, who "name drops" punk and hardcore bands these days to try to gain credibility? It's about as cutting edge as the rockabilly scene.

Spoiler - 2-2-2011 at 10:51 AM

Quote:

Shelton also played drums in his very first band when he was a teenager....a punk band called Buzzkill.