Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

Speak English

Siczine.com - 2-8-2007 at 06:28 PM

Genos, the cheesesteak tourist stop in Philly is again under fire for their sign "When Ordering Speak English" by special interest groups saying they are discriminating against immigraints by refusing service to people that don't speak english. This isn't the first they have been attacked.

I say fuck those assholes, this is America so speak fucking English. Learn the god damn language or go home. I hate how this country doesn't have an "official" language. You go to foreign countries they don't accomodate people who can't speak their native tongue but yet we do. Fuck that PC bullshit.

Discipline - 2-8-2007 at 06:33 PM

Hells yeah!

moron - 2-8-2007 at 06:38 PM

Yeah... it would benefit immigrants if they learned English and it would make everyone else's life easier, but learning English isnt easy and it certainly doesnt happen overnight.

That cheesteak place can do whatever the fuck they want I suppose. I just always find this "speak English or leave" attitude funny.

Siczine.com - 2-8-2007 at 06:39 PM

I can't pick up and move to another country and succeed without speaking their language but yet people expect to do that here.

moron - 2-8-2007 at 06:43 PM

We have a guy working in our office as a janitor who moved to the US from Venezuela a few years ago. I dont know his entire story because he doesn't speak English, but his wife does. Anyway... he's taking ESL classes and working parttime in our office. I wouldnt call that succeeding, but he's making an effort. Lots of people who talk about immigrants coming here make it seem as though all of them are lazy and want everything handed to them which is definitely not the case. This guy is struggling. He's not an idiot, but he had to leave his country for whatever reason and he's legitimately trying to improve his life here. It just takes time.

crazyfists28 - 2-8-2007 at 06:47 PM

i agree, if i had to move somewhere, i'd like to think that i would make the effort to learn the language. but the old people that have obviously been here and not given a shit to learn a few simple terms and sentences in order to survive just piss me off to no end

moron - 2-8-2007 at 06:50 PM

Yeah... it's frustrating at times. I work with those people everyday.

JawnDiablo - 2-8-2007 at 06:56 PM

it's a privatley owned business
he can do whatever the fuck he wants
if people dont like it
go to fuckin pats steaks across the street
i doubt he will miss your $5 when theres 5 people behind you in line waiting for a half assed sammich
genos blows anyway
does "South Philly Guido" count as english? I don't know. don't care
I buy my cheese steaks from an irish immigrant in UD. his english is ok, but his cheese steaks are great

crazyfists28 - 2-8-2007 at 06:58 PM

i just dont like the people that get annoyed with me for not being able to understand them as they're speaking whatever gibberish it is that they're comfortable with....

DAK - 2-8-2007 at 06:59 PM

OR DIE!!!!!!!!

Siczine.com - 2-8-2007 at 07:03 PM

SOD of know the deal.

moron - 2-8-2007 at 07:04 PM

sometimes I think Im too nice of a guy for this board.

JawnDiablo - 2-8-2007 at 07:04 PM

none of the people working in Dunkin Donuts around here speak english much. But damn if they dont remember what i get every fuckin time i enter the place. they can speak klingon for all i care. I love some dunkin coffee

moron - 2-8-2007 at 07:05 PM

and too nice for my own good.

Muttley - 2-8-2007 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com
I can't pick up and move to another country and succeed without speaking their language but yet people expect to do that here.

Exactly. Fuck being politically correct.

DaveMoral - 2-8-2007 at 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by moron
sometimes I think Im too nice of a guy for this board.

I think I'm waaay too nice.

I'd much rather people who get all shitty about the English language go fuck themselves. "blah blah blah patriotism patriotism blah blah blah nationalistic pride blah blah blah speak english or go home blah blah blah" Just screams to me "i'm a prick, please remove me from existence."

tireironsaint - 2-8-2007 at 11:05 PM

What screams "I'm a prick" to me, is people taking advantage of social and economic services without caring enough to learn to communicate with the people who put in the work to create and sustain those same services. Fuck nationalistic or whatever bullshit, as has been stated here, nobody expects to get that sort of benefit in another country without learning to communicate with the people in that country and yet it is not only expected, but is fucking litigated here. That's pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Siczine.com - 2-8-2007 at 11:09 PM

I can't sympathize with any arguement regarding this. Like I said, you cannot go to another country and do good without knowing the native language but here you can. Don't come here if you can't or refuse to learn to language. If you don't agree with that you're just a stupid fuck in my eyes.

Discipline - 2-8-2007 at 11:11 PM

Quote:
I can't sympathize with any arguement regarding this. Like I said, you cannot go to another country and do good without knowing the native language but here you can. Don't come here if you can't or refuse to learn to language. If you don't agree with that you're just a stupid fuck in my eyes.

godabandonedme - 2-8-2007 at 11:58 PM

This is an old arguement. For some reason the news picked up on it again, oh well. Like someone pointed out, it's a privately owned buisness. Either way, the guy even said they have never turned away any paying customer for any reason. I heard him on the Kidd Chris show a while back an he was like "my parents came here from Italy with NOTHING! They learned the launguage busted their asses etc. ..." It's pure laziness anymore plain and simple. Why learn the launguage when everything is spelled out for you in your native tounge? Why learn it when it's a fucking option when calling 911? This country is a fucking joke.

SHAKO KEN - 2-9-2007 at 12:22 AM

i agree that it's common courtesy to speak the language of the country you live in. it's not that hard. you can pick up the basics within a month, especially if you live among people who speak it. they should put the energy they spend on protesting into finding language courses and studying.

btw, in european countries like belgium, holland, norway, sweden, denmark & finland you can get by in english pretty well.

JawnDiablo - 2-9-2007 at 06:54 AM

my father lived in Japan for 2 years while in the military back in the 50s. youd be surprised at how much of their culture/ language he picked up /still remembers to this day from just being around it. he wasnt given classes or anything. its just narural to pick it up i suppose.

JawnDiablo - 2-9-2007 at 06:56 AM

those south philly slop shacks are tourist traps anyway. having lived around the city my wole life i know that what they sell isnt even closr to a good cheese steak. my middle school cafeteria sold better sammiches

Siczine.com - 2-9-2007 at 09:46 AM

I agree, theres dozens of places that have better steaks. Although Steves steaks in the Northeast on St Vincent which is pretty big has great steaks. I still wouldn't call public school sammiches better than a pats or genos steak, the meat is grade F but edible.

DaveMoral - 2-10-2007 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by godabandonedme
This is an old arguement. For some reason the news picked up on it again, oh well. Like someone pointed out, it's a privately owned buisness. Either way, the guy even said they have never turned away any paying customer for any reason. I heard him on the Kidd Chris show a while back an he was like "my parents came here from Italy with NOTHING! They learned the launguage busted their asses etc. ..." It's pure laziness anymore plain and simple. Why learn the launguage when everything is spelled out for you in your native tounge? Why learn it when it's a fucking option when calling 911? This country is a fucking joke.

I heard that dude on NPR saying his grandparents never bothered to learn the language. Hypocrisy.

DaveMoral - 2-10-2007 at 06:08 PM

I think the whole language barrier thing is way further overblown than it really is. I've never met long time immigrants that can't speak the language unless they're older. I don't expect the elderly to pick up the language by any means. Good luck getting old Americans to change their habits, whatever they may be. Fortunately for most Americans they won't be forced out of the country due to circumstances out of their control... this is not the case with alot of immigrants. Political refugees, economic opportunities are things which people feel they have to leave their homeland for their own survival... and language really isn't that much of a problem.

I think it's a matter of fear that people get all bent out of shape when people speak different languages. Fear of difference. And let's face it, more Americans are ripping off the social security system than any immigrant population.

Siczine.com - 2-10-2007 at 07:13 PM

A fear? Maybe for the minority of people but what bends me out of shape is like I said, this is the only country that doesn't have an official language. Everywhere you go it has English and Spanish. It isn't like that anywhere.

And I'm laughing at your statement about SS, while people everywhere are abusing welfare the illegitimate immigraints are draining the economy that taxpayers pay for; trash collection, school, health insurance, etc,. And don't legal immigraints get tax breaks out of the ass when they move here? They get all the benefits of Americans, the least they could do is learn the language.

ENDERA.x - 2-11-2007 at 12:39 AM

YOU AMERICANS HAVE NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT FUCK OFF! (KIDDIN I LOVE YA'LL ON THIS BOARD) TRY LIVING IN TORONTO.

EVEN THE GOVERNMENT ARE FAIRLY REPRESENTED BY IMMIGRANTS ONLY THEY CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH OR THEY HAVE ACCENTS NEAR IMPOSSIBILE TO UNDERSTAND. AND I HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH IT I LIVE IN A PART OF THE CITY WHICH IS BASICALLY THE WHOLE EAST SIDE WHERE ITS ABOUT 10% WHITE AND MOSTLY WHITE TRASH! SO IM USED TO DEALING WITH THICK FOREIGN ACCENTS... WHEN I WENT TO GET MY LICENSE I HAD TO ASK THIS BROAD 5 TIMES WHAT SHE WAS SAYING AND IT WAS JUST SAD. THEY ARE PLENTY OF IMMIGRANTS THAT SPEAK BETTER ENGLISH AND THEY HAVE THEM? IT'S WACK!

IF YOU'RE WHITE HERE, FOR EXAMPLE, ONE JOB YOU CANNOT GET EVEN IF YOU HAVE HIGHER SCORES ON TESTS AND VIA THE COLLEGE PROGRAMS IS A COP. THEY WILL TAKE ANY ONE OF NON-WHITE NATIONALITY OVER A WHITEY JUST TO FILL THE QUOTA! SAME GOES FOR ANY OTHER GOV. JOBS HERE REALLY.

IM NOT RACIST BY ANY MEANS BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM HERE.

PEOPLE CAN LIVE THEIR ENTIRE LIVES IN CANADA AND PROBABLY AMERICA TOO AND NOT EVEN LEARN THE NATIVE LANGUAGE - BECAUSE THEY DONT HAVE TO, THEY HAVE THEIR OWN SECLUDED COMMUNITIES IN WHICH TO THRIVE AND LIVE COMFORTABLY.

ITS A LOSE LOSE. NOTHING WILL CHANGE. "EXCEPT MAYBE FOR THE WORST"

MY RANT AND 2 CENTS. LATER.

Discipline - 2-11-2007 at 01:11 AM

Living in Toronto sucks, and ENDERA explained it perfectly.

joe - 2-11-2007 at 09:09 PM

Ive worked in kichens for more than ten years and it gets frustrating dealing with people who speak no english at all. Most of the workers will try and take classes. I did work work with this one guy who had been here for more than ten years and new no english at all because he just didnt give a shit to learn and it made it hard for everybody who worked with him that just pissed me off daily.

DaveMoral - 2-11-2007 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
A fear? Maybe for the minority of people but what bends me out of shape is like I said, this is the only country that doesn't have an official language. Everywhere you go it has English and Spanish. It isn't like that anywhere.

And I'm laughing at your statement about SS, while people everywhere are abusing welfare the illegitimate immigraints are draining the economy that taxpayers pay for; trash collection, school, health insurance, etc,. And don't legal immigraints get tax breaks out of the ass when they move here? They get all the benefits of Americans, the least they could do is learn the language.

How about calling your politicians and foolish government policies to task for draining the economy. Neo-cons wasted a surplus, NOT immigrants... legal or "illegal."

Sometimes I fucking hate this country and everyone in it...

Siczine.com - 2-11-2007 at 10:03 PM

Who is it, the government or the americans that are draining the economy? First you said it's Americans ripping off the SS system now it's the government? Well, no shit the government is at fault here. Not only the all the money wasted on a useless war but various other shit like them giving them selves raises on a yearly basis. And the gov't is also at fault so being PC on our nonexistent national language. They are also at fault for a shitload of other reasons that don't pertain to this thread. But when someone is moves to the country for a "better life" and refuse to adopt our language is sickening.

And I'm sure plenty of people would like to see you exiled from this country. I'll be the typical overly patriotic hick, even though I'm far from it and say, if you hate it so bad fucking move....

JawnDiablo - 2-12-2007 at 10:14 AM

On a lighter note, Pudgies , In Norristown Pa, makes a far superior cheese steak to any of them slop shops in s philly. the thought has my mouth watering.

DaveMoral - 2-13-2007 at 06:27 PM

Quote:

And I'm sure plenty of people would like to see you exiled from this country. I'll be the typical overly patriotic hick, even though I'm far from it and say, if you hate it so bad fucking move....

That's the kind of attitude that keeps things from changing.
"If you don't like it leave" instead of "if you don't like it do something about it." Unfortunately the electoral system is a fucking joke. So what do we do about it?

Six66Mike - 2-15-2007 at 01:50 AM

haha there's a fishning shop in Adelaide that did the same thing and got wicked shit, but he didn't know what all the Chinese guys were after when they went in his shop & they were loitering & wrecking shit, so he put up a sign that said "English only please".

I say good, if you move to an English speaking country you need to learn the language to do business. I had a guy on the phone last week, didn't speak a word of English or know what a modem was. How do you expect to get served if you don't know the local language?

i don't expect people in China or India to understand me, if I went shopping there I would be fucked. I'm not gonna sue or raise a stink because they don't have translators on site.

JawnDiablo - 2-15-2007 at 10:53 AM

Dell has switched to rerouting the customer service calls to Canada instead of India and China. It made it a hell of alot easier being able to understand them