tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 8-23-2008 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boycott Christian HC
Quote:
Originally posted by tireironsaint
BD, if you wanna avoid the sugar, but decide to go back to coffee get yourself some agave nectar. It'll give you the same sweetness as sugar without all the nastiness of that particular white powder. I was very skeptical that it would be an acceptable substitute, but I tried it once and use it every day now. It's not artificial or some kooky hippie replacement thing, it's just a natural sweetener that doesn't raise the glycemic index and so a lot of diabetics are switching to it.

That sounds interesting, but when I looked it up, wikipedia says it's part regular sugar after all.

"Agave syrup consists primarily of fructose and glucose. One source[3] gives 92% fructose and 8% glucose; another[4] gives 56% fructose and 20% glucose."
Made up of sugars, but it isn't a "refined sugar" product and due to it's lack of glucose it's got a low glycemic index which is the current way to rate different foods and their relation to blood sugar. It actually has a lower glycemic index than honey because honey is largely made of glucose along with other sugars like fructose. Anyway, here's an info list from the company I recommended, some of the info is useful to this discussion, some isn't really...

1) Because Agave Nectar is high in fructose, it enjoys all the benefits which continue to make fructose a preferred sweetening agent. It is sweeter than refined sugar (approximately 1.4 times sweeter); in fact, fructose offers an equivalent sweetness for nearly half the amount of carbohydrate calories. Fructose does not stimulate digestive insulin secretion as do other sugars. It is less disturbing to the glycemic index. In common parlance, it does not create a “sugar rush.”

2) Agave Nectar is produced in different grades varying in flavor and color.

The lighter grades of Agave Nectar are flavor neutral, enhancing the natural flavors of coffee, tea, fruit beverages, baked goods, fresh fruits, fruit smoothies, salad dressings, jams and jellies, ice cream, yoghurts, and various prepared foods, without altering their flavor. This is in marked contrast with bee honey, malt barley syrup, and certain other natural sugar substitutes that do alter the flavor of the products which they sweeten.

The amber and dark grades offer the delicate flavor of Agave with increasing intensity. The amber grade is much like honey and delicious in tea, suitable to sweeten a wide variety of foods, dry and hot cereals, pancakes, waffles, baked goods, protein drinks, and sauces. Heavier sauces such as BBQ, spaghetti, stews and meat glazes may be enhanced by the darker grades of this sweetener which deliver the rich and complex flavors distinctive to Agave.

3) Agave Nectar will not crystallize. It is high in purity and stable in composition. It is easy to store as it has a very long shelf life, approximately three years.

4) Agave Nectar is easy to handle. Because of its light viscosity, Agave Nectar is easy to handle in an industrial setting and pours easily as a table-top sweetener. It will never harden in the bottle. Agave Nectar is highly soluble and dissolves readily even in cold beverages such as lemonade or iced teas. Its light viscosity and solubility also make it ideal to sweeten cold cereals.

5) Agave Nectar is a moisture retainer. It increases the water retention properties of food. In bread and baked goods, Agave Nectar enhances product freshness due to its hygroscopic properties which act as humidifying agents, thereby increasing the shelf life of such products.

6) Agave Nectar is certified organic. The manufacturers have obtained organic certification from BCS Oeko Garantie Gmbh, a German firm accredited by the USDA. The Agave crops used in producing Agave Nectar are herbicide and pesticide free. Growers that supply the raw material will use only natural fertilizers and employ agricultural practices that meet organic certification standards. The manufacturers will also obtain organic certification on their manufacturing process.

7) Agave Nectar is KOSHER. The manufacturers have obtained KOSHER PAREVE certification: Special Kosher – Lepesach production certification for their plant.

8) Total Carbohydrate Grams: Serving Size: This product falls into the "honey" category, and thus its serving size is 1 tablespoon (note: tablespoon and not teaspoon). In turn, 1 tablespoon of Agave Nectar weighs 21 grams. Based on the fact that it contains on the average 77% solids, one serving (1 tablespoon) contains 16 grams total carbohydrates (21 grams x 77% = 16 grams).

9) Calories per Serving: A serving (1 tablespoon) contains 60 calories.

(One serving contains 16 grams of total carbohydrates. One gram of carbohydrate provides 4 calories. Therefore, 16 grams of total carbohydrate contains 64 calories, but a few of these calories are not digestible.)

10) Glycemic Index: This is a relatively new concept which can be important from a metabolic standpoint, especially to diabetics, along with athletes and grossly overweight individuals. The index is an indicator as to how much your blood sugar increases in 2-3 hours after specific food consumption. Most if not all carbohydrates are normally metabolized into the simple carbohydrate glucose, which in the glycemic index concept is arbitrarily assigned a value of 100. As a result, the higher a glycemic index food number is, the faster it raises your blood sugar level. Foods or ingredients with glycemic index numbers close to or above 100 present some significant health issues to diabetics, and in general, sweeteners of all kinds should be avoided by diabetics. Nonetheless, for those diabetics who choose to consume certain amounts of carbohydrates, Agave Nectar, it should be noted has a lower glycemic index than honey. Agave Nectar was found to have a glycemic index of 32. In contrast, honey has a reported glycemic index of 58, due to its higher ratio of glucose to fructose, as compared to the ratio of glucose to fructose in Agave Nectar. Please note: these values are based on using glucose as the reference point, which is the currently accepted approach relative to reporting glycemic index. Earlier, white bread was the reference point, but white bread composition can vary widely, and thus glucose is now the preferred base product.

Veritas odium parit
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-23-2008 at 09:19 AM

is this stuff available in regular supermarkets, oe would one go to a health food kinda specialty store to find it?
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 8-23-2008 at 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juandiablo
is this stuff available in regular supermarkets, oe would one go to a health food kinda specialty store to find it?
I think it's still kind of a growing industry and is definitely starting out in health food stores, but I would imagine that by now a lot of the supermarkets that have special aisles or sections for natural and/or health foods should be carrying it. I've actually seen it in a coffee shop or two around here.

Veritas odium parit
godabandonedme

Mood: Darkbuster

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 03:41 AM

Holy Hippies.........Put some fucking sugar an half n half in your black stuff an stop being pussies......

\"Leave the gun....take the canolis.\"
Voodoobillyman
The Artist Formerly Known As...

Mood: my daughters beautiful curiousity

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by godabandonedme
Holy Hippies.........Put some fucking sugar an half n half in your black stuff an stop being pussies......

Fucking fruit, don't put any of that shit in yer mudd, drink it black!;)
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by godabandonedme
I will punch your teeth out your neck. :smilegrin:
Half and half is good shit.

Veritas odium parit
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clevohardcore
I am going out this morning to grab a succulent cup of coffee from Caribou Coffee.

Mahogany Blend.

http://www.cariboucoffee.com/page/1/find-your-coffee.jsp#

I love Caribou. Stop there every morning. All about the Mahogany, Obsidian and French...their darks are above and beyond Starbucks.

For some reason though at night they only have lights? The peaberry and whatever ethiopian one they had this summer were nasty ass.
MikeCore

[*] posted on 8-25-2008 at 08:41 PM

Pikes Place > Anything Caribou
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 05:46 AM

Is there one within 2 blocks from me?
MikeCore

[*] posted on 8-26-2008 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent
Is there one within 2 blocks from me?