Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Avengers Assemble!
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 09:23 PM

Hands down. The best superhero movie yet.

Unashamedly a comic book film. It was awesome. Packed house, everyone cheered throughout.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 11:50 PM

Seeing tomorrow...but better than The Dark Knight?
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 12:14 AM

Parts were filmed in Cleveland. Not because we are awesome, but because we look like a war zone.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  

The Dark Knight is a great movie, but it's hard for me to call it a comic book movie or even a superhero movie... Batman in those films isn't as much like his comic book counterpart and those films have made people mistakenly believe that in order for these characters to work on screen you have to steer clear of the source material and be somewhat ashamed of the roots.

The Avengers was not at all ashamed of where it comes from, and the plan from Iron Man to The Avengers was amazingly realized... especially as it regards priming the audience for increasingly outlandish shit. Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk are basically extraordinary situations in a normal world. The ante was upped with Thor and Captain America, bringing in the mythological and extraterrestrial... and the Avengers just goes full bore with it all. And it was amazing for it. And costuming was not shy about comic book origins either.

As a film it's probably not better written or directed than The Dark Knight, or even what will be of The Dark Knight Rises, but as a superhero comic book movie? It's a superhero comic book come to life. With the reluctance to embrace the more outlandish stuff in even Batman, I cannot say the same for Nolan's Batman films.

I wish Green Lantern had been a better film and had been used as a springboard to introduce a shared universe for the DC/WB properties and lead into a Justice League film. Sadly, it wasn't. And with Nolan as the overseer on future projects relating to Batman, and the current production of Superman, I don't see a shared universe and ultimately a Justice League film coming to life. If they do Justice League it will stand apart from any other films starring heroes there-in.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 11:21 AM

Can't wait to see The Avengers. Looks amazing.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Johnny_Whistle

Mood: the voices

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 11:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by clevohardcore  
Parts were filmed in Cleveland. Not because we are awesome, but because we look like a war zone.

:lol:

http://www.facebook.com/johncurtinmusic

"Making people laugh is the lowest form of comedy"
-Michael O'Donnohue
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 05:01 PM

Just got back pretty fucking amazing. Still don't think it tops TDK, but it's damn close.
sippers

Mood: face value-the price of maturity

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 07:18 PM

A certian someone will make the next one handsdown the best comic book movie ever...

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 11:03 AM

Yeah. It's too bad WB/DC dropped the ball on a Justice League film because they could have gone with a certain character that was created before that "certain someone" who is a rip off of said DC character...

Now it would just seem like a rip off.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 11:58 AM

Why are we talking in code?

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 01:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaveMoral  
Quote: Originally posted by Jason the Magnificent  

The Dark Knight is a great movie, but it's hard for me to call it a comic book movie or even a superhero movie... Batman in those films isn't as much like his comic book counterpart and those films have made people mistakenly believe that in order for these characters to work on screen you have to steer clear of the source material and be somewhat ashamed of the roots.

The Avengers was not at all ashamed of where it comes from, and the plan from Iron Man to The Avengers was amazingly realized... especially as it regards priming the audience for increasingly outlandish shit. Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk are basically extraordinary situations in a normal world. The ante was upped with Thor and Captain America, bringing in the mythological and extraterrestrial... and the Avengers just goes full bore with it all. And it was amazing for it. And costuming was not shy about comic book origins either.

As a film it's probably not better written or directed than The Dark Knight, or even what will be of The Dark Knight Rises, but as a superhero comic book movie? It's a superhero comic book come to life. With the reluctance to embrace the more outlandish stuff in even Batman, I cannot say the same for Nolan's Batman films.

Far from a Batman expert, but any of the stuff I have read (handful of graphic novels and some short run series when I was younger...maybe those are the storylines I just gravitated towards) has been darker and more in tune with Nolans interpretation of the property. We've had several versions of Batman now between the TV show and the previous movies, most of which border more on camp than character.

I understand your point but you're dealing with a mortal vigilante (regardless of some of of the more fantastical villains and gadgetry) vs a Marvel universe where everything is pretty "comic book-y". Each of the two properties referenced have been interpreted, in my opinion, to their most true form in the recent series.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 08:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Discipline  
Why are we talking in code?

We don't want to spoil an after credits scene.

sippers

Mood: face value-the price of maturity

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 08:46 PM

marvels certian some is way harder than dc's certian someone in my book..i hope the sequel has the death of a celestial being storyline or the gems...im leaning toward the gems which means the celestial being will be involved maybe even a surfer..
Quote: Originally posted by DaveMoral  
Yeah. It's too bad WB/DC dropped the ball on a Justice League film because they could have gone with a certain character that was created before that "certain someone" who is a rip off of said DC character...

Now it would just seem like a rip off.

DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 01:54 PM

What? No one is harder than Darkseid! No one! .... except Superman.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

[*] posted on 5-10-2012 at 12:30 PM

I hate Superman.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-10-2012 at 01:08 PM

Best part of that Superman movie is going to be Michael Shannon as Zod.
DaveMoral
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-10-2012 at 04:17 PM

I'm really curious about what they are doing with Zod, because all the set pics I've seen of him he is wearing a motion capture suit. Which means whatever he's wearing it's going to be a CGI battle suit from hell.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-10-2012 at 04:26 PM

http://www.wwtdd.com/2011/12/first-pictures-of-michael-shann...

Wearing some robe/cloak-y thing in those.
Colin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 10:32 AM

saw it in 3D at the premier, first 3D movie I had seen. It was good, great effects, Scarlet had a nice ass, but for all the hype it wasn't really as good as it was talked up to be. I'm sure the next one will be better, I know this was more of an introduction, but for being over 2 hours long I expected more. I'm also not a real big comic fan. & for some reason I can't stand Robert Downey Junior's Iron Man character when he opens his mouth

record collectors are pretentious assholes
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top